Chameleon Setup (Please read, long)

datapulse
datapulse
12/21/2000 9:55 pm
I recently got a Les Paul DC Standard and I'm looking for some recondmendations as to what kind of setup I should get. Up till now I've only played and owned acoustic guitars so I don't know too much about amps, effects, etc(I didn't even know what a head was until about 3 weeks ago). What I am looking for is an extremely versatile setup that doesn't compromise on the quality of the sound. I don't know exactly what kind of "sound" I'm looking for so I want a setup that can do "everything". I'm leaning towards this setup:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis 2.0
Mesa Boogie 2:90
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier.
Line 6 POD
Some kind of wah wah pedal

That was basically made up from reviews I've read online. I'm not exactly too clear on what the Triaxis can do, is it basically a very fancy pedal? I was thinking about a Dual Rectifier but that seems to be mainly geared to heavy rock(which I like but like I said, I want to be versatile). How does the triaxis's rectifier mode matchup against the dual rectifier? I'm not planning on playing live anytime soon so I don't think I need the dual rectifier's power, all this equipment is going up to my attic(cooled) where I'm making a studio. I'm planning on putting a computer up there also in order to record my music digitally. What music software should I use? I heard Guitar Studio 2 is good and a quick learn. I also might get Pro Tools, to make me even more versatile. Hell I'm even thinking about putting a MIDI Keyboard up there. So I guess my final list is:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis 2.0
Mesa Boogie 2:90
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier.
Line 6 POD
Some kind of wah wah pedal
Guitar Studio 2.0
Pro Toolz
Computer
Keyboard(Maybe)

Is this a good setup? I know I'm asking alot of dumb questions but I really want to make my first big purchase my last. I don't want to be limited by my equipment to a certain genre so I want to make sure to get things right the first time. If anyone could either approve an item or perhaps suggest something else I'd be most grateful. Keep in mind when suggesting new items that money is not too much of an issue just dont get crazy. And now some misc questions.

1) I want to play along with MP3s, is there anyway to run the mp3s through the amp or should I play the mp3s from a set of regular speakers?
2) I also need some type of drum machine, supposedly guitar studio 2 has a good one, can anyone confirm this?
3) How fast of computer would I need for recording digitally? Also, when adding effects digitally is that done while I'm playing? Or afterwards?
4) What books or sites should I read to learn about effects, recording, etc.
5) Whats the best way to record acoustics? A mic or acoustic pickups. Hmm, if I use a mic I would need to use headphones to listen to the drumtrack eh?
6) What headphones would u guys recondmend? :)

Well I think that's about it. Any other tidbits of information you guys could provide me would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, sorry for taking up so much of your time =P

Regards,
Dale Jung
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/21/2000 11:07 pm
woah, that is quite the post...
Well, for your amp question, I really can't say exactly what you should use, I know mesa makes a good amp, but if I were you I would go to guitar shops and try everything on your list, see what you like, and try comparing those to other amps.

As for the computer recording question, I can tell you what I know: If you don't allready have a computer that you're going to use for this, get a new Power Macintosh G4 (the tower model, NOT the G4 Cube). The base model should suffice, but you'll need to buy more hardware to do your actual recording. Mark of the Unicorn makes an excellant system that includes the MIDI/ ADAT controler, PCI card (so the controler can "talk" to the computer) and a full Mac workstation software (I think Pro Tools, but I'm not sure). At any rate, this setup has been recomended to me time and time again. It can work with ADAT recording devices, MIDI devices, and a wide array of other recording equipment. You'll find this package in the Musician's Friend catalog, and probably many other places if you're in or near a big city. *note, you'll probably have to find a nerd such as I to set it all up for you, but nerds such as I are everywhere.
Some things to remember:
-If this Mac is going to be a full time audio work station, keep your extension set as small as possible. This will prevent unwanted crashes and other bugga boos due to extensions conflicting with eachother.
-it is important to get the G4 tower model because G4 cubes and iMacs do not have PCI slots, the PCI slot is how the controller is going to talk to the computer via a PCI card.
-If you let some one talk you into a windows system, please oh please don't get a Compaq, Digital, Gateway 2000, Tiger, (and the list continues), go with a Dell or HP system, but I can gaurantee you that when all is said and done you'll be happier with a Mac, they're just as powerful, easier to use, and you can expect quality parts and fewer hardware/ software conflicts.

Ok... from that point on...
Your studio monitor will connect to the computer or controller... it can be a sterio with an auxillary input. Headphones will connect to your monitor system.
A CD burner (if the computer doesn't come with one) will be a great idea.
If you go with a mac system, SoundJamMP is a great mp3 encoder/ playback program. I use it myself.
If you have a nice studio monitor, play back mp3's from your computer into that... They do make portable mp3 players that you could wire into your sterio via an 1/8" to RCA cable (that would go into the aux input on your sterio).
You'll want to mic almost everything for best results, this will mean an unpowered mixing board that you'll use for mixing input signals.

Other stuff:
I have a fairly good drum machine program for my mac called "Virtual Drummer." It even handles any time signature you can imagine. Best of all it's totally free.

A PowerMac G4 is plenty fast enough for this type of recording (powerful enough for video and audio capture actually). Just remember that large and fast hard drives are critical to audio recording. Make sure your HD is either ATA 66 (stock on apple computers these days) or a SCSI hard drive of some kind. If I were you I would configure one from apple's web page. Ideally with two SCSI hard drives (one for the computer to run off of, one for recording). SCSI Hard drives are more expensive, but they're better for several resons, namely that they're faster than IDE or ATA (except for ATA 100) drives, but also because you can have up to 7 scsi disks on one chain and not have to worry about them interfering with eachother nearly so much as you would on an IDE or ATA bus (which can only support 2 drives anyway).

Well, I'm really going off here... heh... email me if you have questions. I'll help as best I can.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.