View post (Chameleon Setup (Please read, long))

View thread

datapulse
datapulse
12/21/2000 9:55 pm
I recently got a Les Paul DC Standard and I'm looking for some recondmendations as to what kind of setup I should get. Up till now I've only played and owned acoustic guitars so I don't know too much about amps, effects, etc(I didn't even know what a head was until about 3 weeks ago). What I am looking for is an extremely versatile setup that doesn't compromise on the quality of the sound. I don't know exactly what kind of "sound" I'm looking for so I want a setup that can do "everything". I'm leaning towards this setup:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis 2.0
Mesa Boogie 2:90
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier.
Line 6 POD
Some kind of wah wah pedal

That was basically made up from reviews I've read online. I'm not exactly too clear on what the Triaxis can do, is it basically a very fancy pedal? I was thinking about a Dual Rectifier but that seems to be mainly geared to heavy rock(which I like but like I said, I want to be versatile). How does the triaxis's rectifier mode matchup against the dual rectifier? I'm not planning on playing live anytime soon so I don't think I need the dual rectifier's power, all this equipment is going up to my attic(cooled) where I'm making a studio. I'm planning on putting a computer up there also in order to record my music digitally. What music software should I use? I heard Guitar Studio 2 is good and a quick learn. I also might get Pro Tools, to make me even more versatile. Hell I'm even thinking about putting a MIDI Keyboard up there. So I guess my final list is:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis 2.0
Mesa Boogie 2:90
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier.
Line 6 POD
Some kind of wah wah pedal
Guitar Studio 2.0
Pro Toolz
Computer
Keyboard(Maybe)

Is this a good setup? I know I'm asking alot of dumb questions but I really want to make my first big purchase my last. I don't want to be limited by my equipment to a certain genre so I want to make sure to get things right the first time. If anyone could either approve an item or perhaps suggest something else I'd be most grateful. Keep in mind when suggesting new items that money is not too much of an issue just dont get crazy. And now some misc questions.

1) I want to play along with MP3s, is there anyway to run the mp3s through the amp or should I play the mp3s from a set of regular speakers?
2) I also need some type of drum machine, supposedly guitar studio 2 has a good one, can anyone confirm this?
3) How fast of computer would I need for recording digitally? Also, when adding effects digitally is that done while I'm playing? Or afterwards?
4) What books or sites should I read to learn about effects, recording, etc.
5) Whats the best way to record acoustics? A mic or acoustic pickups. Hmm, if I use a mic I would need to use headphones to listen to the drumtrack eh?
6) What headphones would u guys recondmend? :)

Well I think that's about it. Any other tidbits of information you guys could provide me would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, sorry for taking up so much of your time =P

Regards,
Dale Jung