Tapping Portato contra Allan Holdsworth

Adam Fulara
Adam Fulara
09/25/2003 9:56 am
Hi!

My friend from Guitartricks -Andrew Francis- did revision of English version of my article about two-handed tapping articulation, see:
http://adam.fulara.com/a/eind.php?g=eportato

This text is simmilar to Allan Holdsworth legato method - Allan don't use pull-offs at all :)))) Similar technique has Garsed and Lane, You can read about this in article:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/play/article/111

There are two important diffrents:
-In PORTATO You do short breaks after each sound, so You can accent different notes in ascending hammer-ons. Holdsworth uses pick in this point.
-economy picking - in tapping we don't use pick at all so when You change string it sound different, than in Holdsworth's legato.

What You think?

# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/26/2003 3:35 am
I noticed on the end of fulara'a guitars that he has some sort of cloth near the nut to obviously cancel unwanted sounded notes...it that something available for purchase?
I use a plecktrum mostly,but tap often...usually scales and even riffs(you can make some great riffs tapping)Ive never concieved a tune using tapping exclusivley though.Sounds like crud when I tap bass notes with my right hand and treble notes with my left(thats "potrato" technique right?)...

Later!
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Adam Fulara
Adam Fulara
09/26/2003 6:43 am
I have used pice of my shirt, but You can buy special damper for 6-string guitar, see J. Batten homepage.
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/27/2003 3:34 pm
I wanted to know where to get those from, Michael Angelo sells them but they're far too expensive.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.