View post (Best Decade or Era in Rock)

View thread

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
10/01/2003 10:12 am
I love The Clash. They are my favorites among the punkers because they had the true punk attitude. I mean in the beggining their first album was pure punk -- lots of distortion, powerchords and etc. When they saw that this is getting commercial and stuff they shifted their direction to more experimental music, they combined varios influences(such as jazz, funk, even hip hop ) with their punk roots in their later albums.
SO in this respect todays punkers are not punkers at all. Because the original idea of punk was to go against the big stars who considered themselves something more than human beings. It was kind of a anti-movement. ANd what today's punkers are doing is going over the same powerchord progressions and not doing anything provocative at all. Here I don't mean that you should act like an ass and get drunk and stoned all the time -- this is also a cliche and by doing this you prove that you don't get anything.
I don't know why I am going into this. I just basically kind of get angry when somebody says that the whole punk is crap and there is no idea behind it which is bassicaly not true. What we see today is not what punk was about rather it is what it fought against.

The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!