View post (Ah, the Piezo)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/19/2003 1:48 am
I'm known on here as a "Gear Tinkerer", as far as new ideas, etc go; I recently got an idea for a 5 pickup guitar, and let me explain it to you;

3 Humbuckers
1 Roland MIDI Pickup
1 Piezo Pickup System

I've yet to see this done on a guitar, I imagine that if I had this done, mine would be one of the first. For control knobs, it would go like this;

--------------
1 Master Volume (Controls electric, acoustic, acoustic/electric, and MIDI volumes)
--------------
1 Master Tone (Controls electric, acoustic, acoustic/electric tones. MIDI doesn't need a tone pot)
--------------
1 Acoustic/Electric Blender Pot
--------------
1 Five way P/U Selector - This is just for the magnetic pickup part of the guitar.
--------------
1 Three-Way Mode Switch Pot (see below)
--------------
1 Two-way Master Coil Splitter
--------------

I came up with the idea that my "2-way FX Bypass" Pot should essentially become a "3-way Mode Switch Pot". My two way FX-bypass was a simple "FX On/Off" switch, similar to an A/B Switch; It now becomes a 3-way "Mode Select" switch.

Mode 1 (facing north)FX On
Mode 2 (Middle) FX Off
Mode 3 (facing south)- MIDI On

----------

I've been really attracted to the Piezo system as of late; It's really suprising how acoustic it sounds; What i'm wondering, and I guess the point of this question is-

"Will my Electric Sound be deteriorated if I have a Piezo Bridge?"

I know they use the blender pots, and they say that you can have a great electric tone as well, but I'm skeptical. I don't want to only have an acoustic sound, but I can see many places where I'd use it, especially considering the fact that I don't use many effects at all (I'm a purist, in some ways). This should probably be in the gear section, and feel free to move it in a few days or a week or whatever;

~Incidents