View post (Bebop scales)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/10/2003 5:28 pm
Ahhh. I guess it is similar but I don't think it's close enough to suggest I copied it. Besides that's the correct definition so how else would I have said it. I have a very good textual memory so if I read something I can usually re-write it exactly months later. Especially definitions and explanations that come from books, I bet if you search though more sites you'll find each explanation to be very similar to the previous.

So No, I didn't copy it from that site or any other. I won't lie in that sometimes I will read through my own notes (which are from popular theory books) before posting to see if there is anything I may leave out or could add. I did that time but I am very aware of what a Neapolitan is. I wonder why were you looking it up?? Not that you don’t know what it is, but it sounds like a dickhead thing to do. Sorry if I’m wrong.

About the spelling, I used spell check. Sometimes I write my posts on word cause my computer has a habit of freezing up and I can save it there. Neo- just is one of those typos hard to get over, it just seems more right than Nea-. I dunno.

Looking into that link and noticing something that we both didn’t cover is the spelling. N for Neapolitan and N6 for Neapolitan sixth. There is a slight difference and I‘ll note it just to get it out of the way. The Neapolitan 6th or “N6” is the inversion that I covered in my example. Neapolitan or “N” is the chord without an inversion. It must also be noted that when a Neapolitan sixth chord is used the correct way to write it is not Dbmaj/F but from the inversion as FN6 instead. Of course that is the traditional way, if it’s easier for you to write the inversion that’s cool. So if you do see that symbol that's what it means.

To add something that chris wrote in his progressions, whenever the Neapolitan resolves to a tonic. The tonic is usually in second inversion if it‘s a cadence, so it would be A7 - Ab7 (or Ab7/C) - A7/E. I know the progression you wrote isn’t but it’s something worth noting. The rest is very cool. :)

The Neapolitan scale is 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7. The b2 and b3 are due to the root of this scale being the inversion of the Neapolitan 6th chord. The b6 being the root of the chord. I’ll explain in case of some confusion. Take the Neapolitan 6th chord Dbmaj/F. Start the Db major scale with F and you get F, Gb, Ab, Bb, C, Db, E. The formula for the Neapolitan Scale. I have heard that there is another Neapolitan scale but I am unsure of it. This one has served me well for years. Hopefully that makes sense, it is very confusing. Ask me if your lost on a certain part.

Ok I’m done.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 10-10-2003 at 12:31 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.