View post (Bebop scales)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/08/2003 10:22 pm
Yes there is alot to learn and yes when writting, what you have learned can get you out of a sticky situation. It's the thought of music has to be approached, and resolved in a certain way that can be a problem. The seventh in a dominant 7th doesn't have to go down a step, yes that is what sounds correct and normal. But every other possibility has a new sound, and each is expressive in a particular way. Of course the right situation has to come into account, but it shouldn't be ignored because theory says it has to resolve it such a way. Expressiveness makes it art, because each possible movement is an expression. Reducing that possibility by thinking theorical is depriving the musical nature. Don't be a comformist and don't think to much when playing, feel the music and play what you want or you want people to feel.

That's why I love guys like Mozart, Chopin, and many others because they are so expressive. And although you analyze alot of there music in theory classes, it's usually only certain parts. If you've ever analyzed a mozart piece completely (later years) it's a theoretic nightmare in some cases. Bach is easy.

Voice leading is the same way. Each harmony stacked upon a chord is like playing with the texture of a chord. Again listening and feeling the chord is the key, a sus2 sounds spaced out when a 9th chord has a beautiful texture that strenghtens the 7th.

I'm not saying don't learn this stuff, and forget it but the craft goes beyond theory. Use it when you need it but let the music speak for itself. That's the artists mentality. (don't feel offended)

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 10-08-2003 at 05:29 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.