View post (Bebop scales)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/07/2003 9:06 pm
Music is art, performance is art, composition is art, theory is academics.
1) Theory enables us notate and converse our musical ideas, offer analysis of other musical examples, and most importantly opens pathways of communication among other musicians. It offers intellectual stimulation and appreciation of the unknown. I find a lot of people don't appreciate musical idioms like jazz and classical not becuase they find iot offensive, but becuase they don't understand it.
2) On line forums offer little knowledge of the person you are communicating with. Anyone who knows me would laugh absurdly at the idea that I approach music as a theorist and not an artist. Actually quite the opposite is true, as any of my students or associates would inform you it is usually me who is doing the preaching about music and art. You have never sat down and had a conversation w/me nor have ever heard me play, so making quite an assumption is unfair.
3) The ultimate goal as a musician is reaching the platau (sp?) in which you can forget everything and make bueatiful music. Reaching this point is a lot of hard work. There are many roads which lead to this path. One of the main problems I find w/other educators is that they believe the path they took is the only path.....this is not true. We are all not born w/equal musical attributes. Some peoples area of the brain that processes musical thoughts is highly developed at birth and can hear extremely well. Other people have highly developed motor skills and can learn technique and skills such as sight reading rather easy. Not to mention learning styles, we all process information differently. Carl Yung did a lot in this area of research. The path you took is not the path for everyone.