Clicky

Another rookie question but about muting strings this time.


Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
09/01/2026 4:31 pm

I’m currently getting to grips with D and C chords using 5 strings and am finding that I inadvertently mute strings, particularly when playing a C.


I’m wondering whether the strings on my guitar are just too close for me (at this stage) and whether a wider neck would help?


Any advice would be gratefully received. 


David


# 1
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
09/01/2026 4:44 pm

It's what everyone doesn't want to hear David, but practice will clean this up overtime. There needs to be a conscious effort to play cleanly, slowly but at the same time you can't play slow forever and need to trust yourself that your fingers will find proper positioning through repetition. 


In the meantime consider the position of the entire arm, I used to have a video on this. if I can find it I will post the link.


Bill


https://youtu.be/LL3tKRceOYI?si=PnjcPMT2gbZWMK11


edited

One more pizza for the road!

# 2
Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
09/01/2026 5:27 pm

I hadn’t considered the position of my elbow at all Bill, and the video clearly shows the impact that it can make. 


 


I’m off to practice. 


 


Thank you again. 


 


David


# 3
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
09/01/2026 7:45 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Cookie_Play

I hadn’t considered the position of my elbow at all Bill, and the video clearly shows the impact that it can make. 


 


I’m off to practice. 


 


Thank you again. 


 


David

Good luck David


Bill


One more pizza for the road!

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
09/02/2026 3:12 pm

Thank you Bill, and best of luck to you, David!! 
- Lisa


Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
09/02/2026 3:21 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Thank you Bill, and best of luck to you, David!! 
- Lisa

Glad to help out Lisa


Bill


One more pizza for the road!

# 6
Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
Cookie_Play
Registered User
Joined: 08/21/26
Posts: 6
09/06/2026 10:03 am
#5 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Thank you Bill, and best of luck to you, David!! 
- Lisa

Thank you Lisa. 


I’ve worked out how to use “loop” and am practising “Walk Downtown”. 


I love your teaching style and know, that with perseverance, I will improve. 


# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
09/08/2026 8:54 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: Cookie_Play

Thank you Lisa. 


I’ve worked out how to use “loop” and am practising “Walk Downtown”. 


I love your teaching style and know, that with perseverance, I will improve. 

That puts a big smile on my face!! 


Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.