Can I start with fingerstyle right away?

lindagilson806
lindagilson806
05/09/2024 9:52 am

Hello!
I've been learning classic guitar for a couple months now, give or take. Pretty much getting my fingers tips build up and now I'm able to play for quite some time without having to stop due to the pain.

For now, I enrolled the guitartricks course, although I've only completed a couple modules, but I've been playing a few varied songs that I enjoy, to get me going.

One of the things that made me pick up the guitar is actually fingerstyle, and except for one of the songs I'm learning, all of them apply it.

Now.. I'm getting into more "intermediate" stuff, I would say, and things get harder as I still have no finger coordination. Two of the songs I recently picked up are the Main Theme for The Last of Us, and the Main Theme for Interstellar, which heavily apply the technique.

Now, with enough background.. I'd like to ask: Would it be advisable to start digging more and more into fingerstyle? Should I first "master the basics"? Is it ok to do both? smash karts

This might sound as a dumb question, but I definitely wouldn't like to get started with something which is going to prove to hinder me a lot in terms of progression, so I thought I'd better ask.

Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2024 12:58 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: lindagilson806

Hello!
I've been learning classic guitar for a couple months now, give or take. Pretty much getting my fingers tips build up and now I'm able to play for quite some time without having to stop due to the pain.

For now, I enrolled the guitartricks course, although I've only completed a couple modules, but I've been playing a few varied songs that I enjoy, to get me going.

One of the things that made me pick up the guitar is actually fingerstyle, and except for one of the songs I'm learning, all of them apply it.

Now.. I'm getting into more "intermediate" stuff, I would say, and things get harder as I still have no finger coordination. Two of the songs I recently picked up are the Main Theme for The Last of Us, and the Main Theme for Interstellar, which heavily apply the technique.

Now, with enough background.. I'd like to ask: Would it be advisable to start digging more and more into fingerstyle? Should I first "master the basics"? Is it ok to do both? smash karts

This might sound as a dumb question, but I definitely wouldn't like to get started with something which is going to prove to hinder me a lot in terms of progression, so I thought I'd better ask.

Thanks!

Short answer: if you know what you want, then go for it.

Longer answer!

Every individual brings a different set of goals & dexterity to the task of learning guitar.  Some students pick up basic chord shapes quicker & easier, but to others it takes more time.  Same with strumming & fingerpicking.  You won't know where you are until you get started!

If you skip the beginner Fundamentals material you might miss some skills, ideas & practice that could make your foundation stronger: various chords, chord change strategies, ideas about about rhythm & staying in time.  But if you are serious about fingerpicking, you'll eventually encounter all these skills & ideas in the process of learning anyway.  So you might have to back track a bit in order to fill in your personal curriculum.  But at least you will be pursuing your goals.

Taking a one-on-one lesson might be a good way to assess your skill level & how productive it would be for you to go straight to fingerpicking songs you want to play.

A possible solution might be to simply watch through the Fundamentals courses looking for anything that might help you.  And for what you might want to skip or put aside (for now, for later).  Anders covers some fingerpicking in those courses, so you will see some beginner level basics aimed at that skill.

Also, Lisa & Collin both have excellent tutorials covering fingerpicking for beginners, all on the acoustic style page.

https://www.guitartricks.com/styles/acoustic

Hope that helps.  Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
innocci
innocci
05/09/2024 5:56 pm

Check out fingerstyle guitar magazines, check sheetmusic plus and Halleonard for fingerstyle material as well.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.