Sitting vs Standing

jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/12/2024 10:58 am

i'm sure this topic has been discussed before. i learn best when im sitting. its easier on me and i dont get tired. but ultimately i want to be standing up and playing my electric so when should i make the transition?

i cant learn while standing because its not comfortable for me. i could do all my learning while sitting and then put some time in while standing but what should i play while standing? (should i do the learning i did while i was sitting again while standing, or, should i just jam while standing)

ultimately i want to be in a band and gig so i want to stand and play with the strap low, like slash, not high, like tom morello.

any input would be appreciated. i'm a beginner so i dont want to develop any bad habits.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2024 2:26 pm

Now.

Whatever & however you spend you time practicing is what you are going to be good at.  If eventually you want to be good at standing & playing with a low slung strap, then you are going to have to spend a lot of time doing that until it is second nature.  Certainly the conceptual aspect can be learned sitting or standing.  The notes are all in the same place, the chords & scales are all the same shapes.

But if you are only used to doing all your playing sitting with a guitar in your lap, then there is going to be a learning curve transferring & adapting all your knowledge to the physical technique of playing in a different position.

This is also why I mention transitioning to electric ASAP.  It's a different physical machine.

Hope that helps.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/12/2024 6:02 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Now.

Whatever & however you spend you time practicing is what you are going to be good at.  If eventually you want to be good at standing & playing with a low slung strap, then you are going to have to spend a lot of time doing that until it is second nature.  Certainly the conceptual aspect can be learned sitting or standing.  The notes are all in the same place, the chords & scales are all the same shapes.

But if you are only used to doing all your playing sitting with a guitar in your lap, then there is going to be a learning curve transferring & adapting all your knowledge to the physical technique of playing in a different position.

This is also why I mention transitioning to electric ASAP.  It's a different physical machine.

Hope that helps.

thanks christopher for your quick response. helps a LOT!

# 3
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
01/13/2024 12:44 pm

Christopher is right on. I always played sitting down until I joined a church band. Now when I look down, I’m not looking at the frets and strings per se, but I’m looking at the marker dots. You’ll also want to get a real good feel for where the strings are because unless you’re just playing rhythm, you will need a good feel for where the strings are. 
i wish I had his advice all those years ago! 

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2024 6:04 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: jibran.shahid123

thanks christopher for your quick response. helps a LOT!

You're welcome.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/13/2024 6:05 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: W3

Christopher is right on. I always played sitting down until I joined a church band. Now when I look down, I’m not looking at the frets and strings per se, but I’m looking at the marker dots. You’ll also want to get a real good feel for where the strings are because unless you’re just playing rhythm, you will need a good feel for where the strings are. 
i wish I had his advice all those years ago! 

Better late than never!  :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.