how do i switch to a difficult chord faster

nello.ianiro
nello.ianiro
01/11/2024 7:56 pm

I've had trouble switching to an F major chord from any chord, are there any practices I can work on to have an easier time at switching to difficult chords faster and more seamlessly?

edited
# 1
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
Diamond_Dave
Full Access
01/11/2024 8:31 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: nello.ianiro

I've had trouble switching to an F major chord from any chord, are there any practices I can work on to have an easier time at switching to difficult chords faster and more seamlessly?

Practice slowly and use a metronome. Start the metronome at whatever speed you're at now--30 clean chord changes a minute=30 bpm on the metronome. When it gets really comfortable to cleanly change between an F (I assume an F barre chord) to another chord, increase the speed of the metronome a little, like 35 bpm, until that becomes comfortable. Rinse and repeat.

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2024 6:38 pm

Hi nello.ianiro,

In my Guitar Fundamentals I Course, I go extensively into "chord-change-strategies". 

I appreciate Dave's suggestion of using a metronome, but before one can make a chord change "on-time", one has to learn how to make the chord in a strategic way. 

This means studying the relationship between the F chord in the music, and the chord that comes right before it.

Do the 2 chords share anything at all in common? 

You can practice "Chord Pairs", which means - select 2 chords (one of which is F, in your case).

And you go from Chord #1, to F, over and over and over. Slowly - trying to get used to the choreography of the move. 

Some suggested pairs, for starters:

C to F.   G to F.  Am to F. 

Hope this helps!  - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.