On again off again from Pakistan

jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/09/2024 5:08 am

Dear community members

I purchased full year membership of guitartricks yesterday and have been enjoying Anders teaching style in the Fundamental 1 module. I have a Spanish guitar on which I am following his lessons currently. But as I was finishing up my morning session he was going to start teaching Riffs and Power chords and he said if you have an electric bring it out so I can't wait to go home from work and turn on my amp and start following along.

In my culture there are issues on music due to religion and Pakistan isn't a developed country like USA where guitar stores are just around the corner. Actually believe it or not I have been playing guitar for 23 years but was learning Twinkle Twinkle and Happy Birthday this morning. Never had any proper training and would play for a while before the guitar was doomed to go back into the closet to gather dust. There was a time when I could play a sloppy version of "Holy Wars...the punishment due" by Megadeth but learning eveything from tab and no one to guide me I picked up a lot of bad habbits. I'm 37 so I've taken a new step this new year and wanted to play guitar at a reasonably high level. I want to be able to play the solo to "Don't Cry" by Guns N Roses.

Anders teaching method is really great and he got me playing scales and chords really early which I like because I've tried other other free online material but they never got me excited. Anders even had me improvising on the pentatonic scale today (I used to know all five box patterns). So I've put complete trust in my purchase. 

My intial motive to picking up the guitar was to myself offer lessons but now I am sharing that I don't want to go down that road. I want to be a guitarist in some capacity. If it's just a hobby along with my day job that's fine. If I can form a band that would be better. But in Pakistan it's difficult because there aren't many musicians around and the that are, are too stuck up and snooty. Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself as I'm here for atleast a year now so might as well make some friends along the way.

If you guys have any comments or questions feel free to ask. I love bands like Metallica, Tool and Korn. But right now I'm simply a student. If you guys can guide me what to do once I'm done with the beginner stuff that would be great because I feel I might get confused then.

Cheers and all the best. Happy guitar-ing everyone!

Jibran Shahid

# 1
TGSMi
Full Access
TGSMi
Full Access
01/27/2024 7:51 am

Hello Jibran. It’s a shame that nobody welcomed you after the trouble you took to introduce yourself !
So welcome here,there is teaching material for much longer than a year (I’ve been here for more than 2 years now).
In my experience, the guitar quickly becomes a trusted companion, and making music is one of the most fulfilling human experiences.

Good luck with your Band project.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/29/2024 3:45 pm

jibran.shahid123, WELCOME! We are so glad you are here and having fun learning with Anders!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
GLynch4574
Full Access
GLynch4574
Full Access
01/29/2024 10:17 pm

Welcome Jibran to the GT community.I am new myself and need to introduce my self very soon.The subject matter and library is so extensive.You have a good taste in music so you bound to learn from the heavy metal genre.

Nod to Lisa McCormick and her highly impressive “Magic Bullet “ on chords.The rainbow 🌈 analogy for learning the Major Scale is very creative.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.