Greetings from West Texas

majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
11/28/2023 12:52 am

Good Evening Everyone,

Been on a 12 year layoff from picking up my guitar and recently, the urge has me wanting to dive back into it. I took some private lessons back in the late 80's / early 90's and messed around with it but never joined a band but did play in worship band at church back mid 2000's. Played in that band for about 3 years and then I stopped.  Fast forward to now, I've been looking for an online guitar lessons since the local music scene is not conducive to my style of music for lessons that would interest me (born and raised in So Cal, now in West Texas for the past 10 yrs) So I thought I would give this a whirl. 

I want to go back to the fundamentals of learning and a lot of what I learned is a distant memory and now that I just turned 60, I want to keep my brain functioning in the right direction. Dementia runs in my family and I would like to excise that muscle.  

I have question regarding this program, since I will be using my work station with headphones, do I need to use a audio interface in order play along with the lessons? I'm assuming this would be the proper set up, am I correct?

All the best

Albert

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/28/2023 4:08 am

Hi Albert,

To hear your electric guitar with headphones on and a tutorial running, you will need an interface such as the Scarlet Solo. 

However, the guitar is going to be raw. Meaning your only tone options will be on the guitar itself.

When I am working at my desk and using headphones, I use a program on my PC called Amplitube, which gives me various amp models and effects pedals to use. You don't need it,

but having it makes things more interesting than just a straight guitar feed. 

Bill

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
11/28/2023 12:30 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Albert,

To hear your electric guitar with headphones on and a tutorial running, you will need an interface such as the Scarlet Solo. 

However, the guitar is going to be raw. Meaning your only tone options will be on the guitar itself.

When I am working at my desk and using headphones, I use a program on my PC called Amplitube, which gives me various amp models and effects pedals to use. You don't need it,

Bill

Thank you, Bill, for the insight.  I do remember that Amplitude program and revisited their website last night. I will be doing some more research on both products, we're living in some pretty exciting times, thank you again.

Albert

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2023 3:17 pm

Hi Albert!

I am glad that Bill has been able to offer you some techical advice.

I am just jumping in here to say welcome, and we are all cheering you on as you learn to play things you love on your guitar!

Be well, Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/28/2023 3:33 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: majestictone

Thank you, Bill, for the insight.  I do remember that Amplitude program and revisited their website last night. I will be doing some more research on both products, we're living in some pretty exciting times, thank you again.

Albert

Pleasure, good luck with it Albert 

Edit: one other option I just thought of are Boss Waza Headphones. I have these as well. These are a more expensive option, but give you a Katana amp in a set of headphones. They use bluetooth to pair with either your pc or your phone. No cables.

edited

# 5
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
11/28/2023 8:58 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: William MG

Pleasure, good luck with it Albert 

Edit: one other option I just thought of are Boss Waza Headphones. I have these as well. These are a more expensive option, but give you a Katana amp in a set of headphones. They use bluetooth to pair with either your pc or your phone. No cables.

Bill,

I went ahead and purchased this set up.. Gotta have some interesting tone while I am learning right?

Albert

# 6
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
11/28/2023 9:00 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Hi Albert!

I am glad that Bill has been able to offer you some techical advice.

I am just jumping in here to say welcome, and we are all cheering you on as you learn to play things you love on your guitar!

Be well, Lisa

Thank You Lisa,

I am looking forward to jumping in with both feet...

All the best

Albert

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/28/2023 10:35 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: majestictone

Bill,

I went ahead and purchased this set up.. Gotta have some interesting tone while I am learning right?

Albert

Awesome, enjoy!

# 8
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/29/2023 3:17 am

Cool!

Rumble

# 9
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
01/02/2024 7:46 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Albert,

Bill

Happy New Year Bill,

Revisiting this question, now that I have Amplitude, I haven't had the opportunity to jump into a lesson yet but to sync both the interface and guitar licks, what is the trick? My headphones are plugged into the interface, will guitar tricks lesson play through the interface module or is there something I need to do to sync them both?

Albert

# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/02/2024 9:44 pm

Happy new year Albert!

Yes, once you have everything hooked up everything will come through your head phones. 

I put a short video up of my settings and hopefully this gets you up and running.

https://youtu.be/DL-O3A3taNE?si=J66BFEPE6-1b1bHC

# 11
majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
01/03/2024 10:19 pm
#11 Originally Posted by: William MG

Happy new year Albert!

Yes, once you have everything hooked up everything will come through your head phones. 

I put a short video up of my settings and hopefully this gets you up and running.

https://youtu.be/DL-O3A3taNE?si=J66BFEPE6-1b1bHC

Thank You Bill, this was totally awesome of you do this...   I came across this backing tracks site with this cat named Roberto Restuccia, this kid has some really cool licks.

Guitar backing tracks |Coffee Break Grooves

Thanks again

Albert

# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/03/2024 11:03 pm
#12 Originally Posted by: majestictone

Thank You Bill, this was totally awesome of you do this...   I came across this backing tracks site with this cat named Roberto Restuccia, this kid has some really cool licks.

Guitar backing tracks |Coffee Break Grooves

Thanks again

Albert

You're welcome, hopefully you are up and running soon.

Yeah, great site. Thanks

Bill 

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.