Help with Power 9 Chrods

douglasbeard82
Full Access
douglasbeard82
Full Access
11/27/2023 9:39 pm

Anyone have any suggestions to train your hand to be able to make the huge stretch required for power 9 chords?

I can play them , but only short term until my hand starts cramping lol

Doug

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/28/2023 12:21 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: douglasbeard82

Anyone have any suggestions to train your hand to be able to make the huge stretch required for power 9 chords?

I can play them , but only short term until my hand starts cramping lol

These tutorials are aimed at building strength & dexterity.  The second one focuses on the pinky.

Trill Drills
https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1829/

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity
https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1292/

Obviously, increased strength & dexterity is essential.  But it's also important to stay as relaxed as possible.  Tension is the enemy of precision & endurance in guitar playing.  When you are first learning something it requires some tension & rigidity.  But as soon as possible you need to consciously remind yourself to fret the notes & tell yourself to relax.  Work toward using the minimal effort necessary to sound the notes.  Any more is wasted effort that strains your hand & makes it harder to keep going or get to the next chord.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hamboslay
hamboslay
12/15/2023 7:43 am

I practiced many times and I see that the more I practice playing power 9 chords, the easier it will become. Start by playing for short periods of time and gradually increase the length of your practice sessions. It's my way.

blossom word game

# 3
williamshane3627
williamshane3627
02/19/2024 3:44 am

After a lot of work, I can already feel that playing power 9 chords will get simpler with time. You should begin by practicing for shorter durations and work your way up to longer ones. That is how I do it. 

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.