Upgrading gear

ajprado90
Full Access
ajprado90
Full Access
11/16/2023 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I've been playing for a bit more than a year (Acoustic mainly although I've also have a spanish classical one but I don't play it often) and now want 2 things:

1. I want to upgrade my current accoustic (although it's quite good for my current level tbh). I've a Cort Earth 100: https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=102010&it_id=143&page=1. Now as I said, this guitar is fine, but sometimes I feel the Dreadnought body too big so any suggestion on below $500-$600?

2. I want to try electric for the first time ever but I'm completely lost there, I don't really know which type of guitar should I pick. I don't want to be attached to any particular music style, so maybe there's some good "all-rounded" electric guitar? I don't want to spend too much on this one, so maybe some good suggestion below $300-$350?

Thanks a lot for reading!

Andrés

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2023 10:24 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ajprado90

Hi all,

I've been playing for a bit more than a year (Acoustic mainly although I've also have a spanish classical one but I don't play it often) and now want 2 things:

1. I want to upgrade my current accoustic (although it's quite good for my current level tbh). I've a Cort Earth 100: https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=102010&it_id=143&page=1. Now as I said, this guitar is fine, but sometimes I feel the Dreadnought body too big so any suggestion on below $500-$600?

2. I want to try electric for the first time ever but I'm completely lost there, I don't really know which type of guitar should I pick. I don't want to be attached to any particular music style, so maybe there's some good "all-rounded" electric guitar? I don't want to spend too much on this one, so maybe some good suggestion below $300-$350?

Andrés

Hey, Andres.

I'm not too familiar with acoustic guitars.  But based on what you wrote, you might benefit from getting an acoustic with different characteristics than your current guitar.  For example, one with a cutaway to reach higher frets, on board electronics to plug in or make recording easier.  Here's an example in your price range.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AEG62NMH--ibanez-aeg62-natural-mahogany-high-gloss

Regarding the electric I recommend getting a bundle if you can in order to get an amp with the guitar in that price range.  A Strat style with a humbucker bridge pickup is a great choice.  For example:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPkHSSCFM--squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-hss-pack-charcoal-frost-metallic-with-laurel-fingerboard

And I always recommend try before you buy!  Go to a local music store and explain your goals & budget.  Try a bunch of guitars.  See which ones feel good in your hands.  Which ones will motivate you to practice more!

Hope that helps.  Best of success guitar hunting!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
11/20/2023 11:36 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ajprado90

Hi all,

Andrés

This would be a great upgrade/alternate from your Cort Earth if wanting an e-acoustic. It won't break the bank and has a tonne of features you're probably subconsciously wanting to try/looking for. I've been playing six years and I'd be happy with it. Cort make fine guitars which offer outstanding value. You can pay more and go to higher specfication from here, but it's difficult to justify unless your skills are commensurate or what you spend is immaterial. 

If skipping another acoustic and wanting to move to an electric, until you already know what you want and the style/genre of music you want to play is cast in stone, can't beat a HSS Strat style guitar for a great all rounder confirming what Christopher has already suggested. "H" stands for a humbucker in the bridge. It's the shifting spanner of electric guitars. I have many electric instruments to choose from, but if I was restarting again today as I did once with a single electric guitar, a HSS Strat style guitar would again be my choice.

In your price range Squier Classic Vibe or Yamaha Pacifica 112V and a myriad of brand alternatives.  Fender Player or Pacifica 612VII if wanting/prepared to spend more. Pick a neck you like at a price point which is amenable, and triage from there.

edited
# 3
ajprado90
Full Access
ajprado90
Full Access
11/23/2023 9:40 am

Thanks for the advice. I went to my local music store and tested 2 Stratocaster (the affinity by Squier and another one a bit more expensive) and also an Epiphone SG and Epiphone Les paul. Ultimately I really liked the look and feel and playability of the Les Paul, so I got this one on what I think was a bargain, as I got it for $398 and on Epiphone's web site it's label to cost $579:

https://www.epiphone.com/es-ES/Electric-Guitar/EPIMIS264/Worn-Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst

So pretty happy with the result.

Cheers, 

Andrés

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.