Fingernail worn out, advice

kiwicolin
Full Access
kiwicolin
Full Access
11/14/2023 12:57 am

The nail is worn down on my right hand index finger. I find I play better rhythm, especially funky rhythms when my finger slightly touches the strings with the pick.I assume this is a bad habit, Im trying to correct it, but I also pay a lot of rhythm/Led where the finger needs to touch the strings for harmonics and tone. Any suggestrions on how to protect my finger while the nail grows back and I try to correct 30 years of habit? I tried a band aid, which protected my nail, but made it difficult to play.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/14/2023 12:15 pm

I occasionally have that problem because my index finger nail is grown out a little bit for classical technique.  So when I play electric with a pick the index finger nail can sometimes get snagged on a string!  The solution for me is a lighter pick touch.  Just backing off a bit, stop digging too hard with the pick solves it.

You also might try slightly thicker or heavier picks.  And of course try to choke up a bit less on the pick.

In my experience it's the side of the thumb that helps with harmonics & certain muting.  So keeping my index finger out of the way is never a problem for tone creation.

You might try a small piece of athletic tape instead of a Band-Aid.  Or you could try some clear nail polish or hardener.  But I think your best bet is improved technique.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
kiwicolin
Full Access
kiwicolin
Full Access
11/14/2023 8:02 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I occasionally have that problem because my index finger nail is grown out a little bit for classical technique.  So when I play electric with a pick the index finger nail can sometimes get snagged on a string!  The solution for me is a lighter pick touch.  Just backing off a bit, stop digging too hard with the pick solves it.

You also might try slightly thicker or heavier picks.  And of course try to choke up a bit less on the pick.

In my experience it's the side of the thumb that helps with harmonics & certain muting.  So keeping my index finger out of the way is never a problem for tone creation.

You might try a small piece of athletic tape instead of a Band-Aid.  Or you could try some clear nail polish or hardener.  But I think your best bet is improved technique.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice

I tend to choke on the pick pretty heavy.

I'll try and back off

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/15/2023 12:02 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: kiwicolin

Thanks for the advice

I tend to choke on the pick pretty heavy.

I'll try and back off

You're welcome.  Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.