Billy Duffy + Slash

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/06/2003 1:31 pm
Hey, first of all, why is Billy Duffy of the Cult not discussed more on this forum? I think he's a great guitarist and the Cult have got some amazing songs (even their latest one off the Gone in 60 Seconds soundtrack).

Secondly, I know that when Slash and the boys in GNR started out, they were doing Aerosmith covers, but why are Slash and Billy Duffy not compared to each other? I find their styles/sound to be very similar, though perhaps not in composition. However, the whole aggressive rock, melodic soloing, lead guitar going crazy while the singer is still singing, etc. seems to be shared by the two of them.

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm pioneering a new perspective of Duffy & Slash!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Slasher
Slasher
08/06/2003 7:01 pm
I've got The Cults last cd, cant remember the name. Dont really know what there old stuff is like. But from the cd I have I cant really see (or should that be hear) any correlation between the 2. Not that I dont like The Cult, its a great cd. I seem to remember a lack of solos on it too. Also Matt Sorum was the drummer on The Cults last cd. Or it could be just me being deaf.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/06/2003 8:34 pm
Well, I got the idea after listening to "Ceremony" a lot. That album is full of solos. Check out "Wonderland" and "Ceremony"... actually, all the songs are great (except maybe "If", a little to cheesy & trite for my tastes).

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
08/06/2003 10:07 pm
Billys rockier stuff I had noticed is quite like Slash's, I think its the shared ACDC influence as opposed to any direct influence. Single string riffs and pinch harmonics is a trait they both share, but alot of the Cults stuff is gothic style arpeggiated chords as opposed to full on rock like GnR
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/07/2003 1:41 pm
I dunno about the Gothic style... I think that only their first album was really Gothic, the others seem to be more rockin', like Sonic Temple, Ceremony, Electric... I'm not familiar with their debut album or their self-titled album, though.

One funny thing about them is how they changed drummers and bassists with each album! My friend was telling me how, at one point after recording one album, Ian Astbury said that they felt that this was the ideal Cult lineup, the best one yet... and then he proceeded to get a new drummer and bassist for the next album!

[/sarcasm]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.