Why Fender?

chrisramguitarman
chrisramguitarman
12/12/2000 8:45 pm
Why does everyone buy fenders and marshalls? We'll all sound the same!! Buy laneys and fernandes instead!!

# 1
ezshuffle
ezshuffle
12/12/2000 10:19 pm
how about boogies and tom andersons...get the best tone with the most flexibility...kills the tone of my 62 strat and 69 marshall...
# 2
Rat520
Rat520
12/13/2000 2:27 am
i hope i don't offend anyone by saying this but i think alot of people buy fenders for the name, i admit they are a good guitars but i find, especialy the strat, has a very limited tone range compared to a lesser known guitar of the same price.

As for marshalls i truly think that they are some of the best and most relilable amps around.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 3
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
12/13/2000 3:06 am
true dat Rat520, They are hailed as high quality, time honored instruments. And yes i admit i did buy my fender for the name but it also has a sweet tone. I had been wanting one since i first started(i actually was set to buy one at my one year mark of playing but some shrewd fellow at guitar center talked me out of it i wish he didn't. Damn that fellow!!!!!!!!) because my idols hendrix, vaughan, and clapton used one, and i guess i wanted to be like em and played what they played. I guess Marshall goes along with it cause that's what the greats used also.
"Take my hand boss"
# 4
chrisramguitarman
chrisramguitarman
12/13/2000 6:21 pm
its also probably because fenders are seen as 'safe' guitars as they dont veer towards one particular genre/style. The fender guitar was one of my first and it gave me an idea of what music i was best at playing, thus giving me an idea of what guitar to buy next.
# 5
yafreax
yafreax
12/15/2000 3:11 pm
Well, i know that when i first started playing i thought i would eentually go with a fender b/c the couple people i personnally knew that i thought were great at guitar both had Tele's. (of course, one also has a Paul Reid Smith, and about 5-6 other great guitars. . .) But I went with a Les Paul DC Standard. It basically plays itself!! Fender's are generally slightly less expensive then top of the line Gibson's, so that may factor in. But i basically agree that it's for the name and popularity of use by lots of great guitarists.

Of course, Marshall's are some of the best amps, so i don't blame people for that side.

In the acoustic world, it seems everyone wants Martin's or Taylor's (i want a Martin).

my 2 ¢

yafreax
# 6
loner92
loner92
12/16/2000 8:12 pm
Since I play metal exclusively, I avoid Fenders like the plague. I'll gladly take a Kramer or Jackson over a Fender any day.

# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/16/2000 8:33 pm
I'm personally of the beleif that any guitar can be used for anything. It's all in how you can adapt yourself and your thinking. I own nothing but fenders right now, but that's because I like the tone, feel, and versatility. Face it, you can make a strat or tele sound alot more like a les paul then a les paul can sound like strat. But both designs are time honored, tested, and will be around for a long time. Also, new pickups can make a wold of difference, the pickups in my strat give it one huge pair of balls, and they're single coils. The EMG's in my four string make my five string miseralbe to play (I have to start tweaking nobs on my amp and it still doesn't have the same punch).

I think the biggest thing that effects how people seem to sound the same is that most people aren't willing to think past what a guitar has traditionally done in general, but also what has been done in their paticular type of music. It isn't easy to invent an idea, but I think more people ought to try.

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 12-16-2000 at 03:36 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/02/2001 6:59 am
I don't know! When I saw Iron Maiden a couple months ago, all four of thier Fenders were kicking some butt!(3 Guitars & Steve's Bass!)
I think it was the players, not the guitars, that were making the difference. IMO
Peace.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.