I stopped listening to the lie I told myself

jakemullins
Full Access
jakemullins
Full Access
10/02/2023 6:34 pm

I'm 46 years old.  I told myself a lie my entire life.  I thought that I didn't have any skill or ability to play music.

My oldest son has autism and he's musically gifted.  I realized that if I want to communicate with him, I need to learn music.  So I decided to challenge the lie 9 months ago and got a guitar.

I have spent the last 9 months in lessons and practicing at least 1 hour a day.  Now.... I can play music!

My instructor doesn't really know what to do with me.  I am so motivated and my work ethic is impeccable.  I really think I need the structure of Guitar Tricks curriculum.  I'm also looking forward to this forum.

I'm ready to continue this journey with y'all.  Let's ROCK!

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/02/2023 8:15 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: jakemullins

I'm 46 years old.  I told myself a lie my entire life.  I thought that I didn't have any skill or ability to play music.

My oldest son has autism and he's musically gifted.  I realized that if I want to communicate with him, I need to learn music.  So I decided to challenge the lie 9 months ago and got a guitar.

I have spent the last 9 months in lessons and practicing at least 1 hour a day.  Now.... I can play music!

My instructor doesn't really know what to do with me.  I am so motivated and my work ethic is impeccable.  I really think I need the structure of Guitar Tricks curriculum.  I'm also looking forward to this forum.

I'm ready to continue this journey with y'all.  Let's ROCK!

That's a great story!  Welcome to GT.

Good luck and have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/03/2023 12:08 am

Great story and great work ethic. Regular structured practice will do it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
10/03/2023 4:49 pm

Bring it Jake!

Rumble

# 4
michael@rockon
Full Access
michael@rockon
Full Access
10/04/2023 10:48 am

Wonderful story! This is a great place to learn. Keep on rocking!

Long Live Rock!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.