fret board width? very flat wide fingertips.... new player

clarson486
clarson486
09/05/2023 12:40 am

Im a beginner and im having a rough time not touching two strings because of the thickness of my fingertips. whats a normal fretboard width? wondering if my guitar has a skinny one and if so what are some good guitars to look into. Any information would be helpful

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/05/2023 10:43 am

This is very common starting out, but to answer the question, electrics are narrower than acoustics, usually being between 39mm and 43mm at the nut. Ibanez guitars tend to on the wider side. 

Acoustic guitars have the widest nuts and therefore widest string spacing. I don't know much about the measurements on acoustic but they are probably in the 43 to 46mm range. 

Side note. You are going to hear this a lot starting out, but I wouldn't give up on what you have now until you have some real practice time in. Things seem to work themselves out with practice. My 1st electric was a Yamaha Pacifica, somewhere around 40mm and I had same problem. Now I can play anything I know how to play on it with no issues. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/05/2023 11:05 am
#1 Originally Posted by: clarson486

Im a beginner and im having a rough time not touching two strings because of the thickness of my fingertips. whats a normal fretboard width? wondering if my guitar has a skinny one and if so what are some good guitars to look into. Any information would be helpful

William provided great info & advice. 

What kind of guitar do you have?  Have you measured the nut width?  I'd encourage you to practice, of course, with the guitar you have.  But you can also make time to try some other guitars to see if it helps.  Go to your local music store & try some other guitars.  Explain the problem to the staff & see if they have any recommendations or solutions.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
clarson486
clarson486
09/05/2023 11:13 am

Hey thanks guys I'm playing an acoustic it's a cheap donner I picked up to start learning on with the intention of buying a nicer guitar once I get the hang of things but It's about 43 mm. The problem is on the first and second fret even at the tipiest tip of my finger tips I'm touching two strings

# 4
kalylcie1
kalylcie1
12/25/2023 2:39 am

Electric guitars tend to have narrower fretboards compared to classical guitars. Standard electric guitar necks usually have a nut width of around 1.65 to 1.69 inches (42 to 43mm). However, there are variations, and some electric guitars, especially those designed for shredding or modern playstyles, may have even narrower necks.

among us

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.