Best "first" Amp?

martiniconqueso
Full Access
martiniconqueso
Full Access
08/17/2023 6:51 pm

After two years of (mostly) regular practice, I've reached the point in my gradual improvement where I am starting to get more interested in tone.

I started out with a low-end Gretsch hollow body and a mini Blackstar 'FLY3' amp - it's plenty for my practice area in the basement but not really much on offer in terms of settings, etc.

So what is a good first 'real' amp? I'm more into rock/punk/country than anything else, and in addition to the Gretsch I've since started playing a Telecaster quite a bit. I play to improve and to entertain myself, so I am not looking for something gig-worthy by any means - but I do want the ability to get more options (honk! twang!) out of the Tele than I can with the mini amp.

=K

=Keith

# 1
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
08/17/2023 7:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: martiniconqueso

After two years of (mostly) regular practice, I've reached the point in my gradual improvement where I am starting to get more interested in tone.

I started out with a low-end Gretsch hollow body and a mini Blackstar 'FLY3' amp - it's plenty for my practice area in the basement but not really much on offer in terms of settings, etc.

So what is a good first 'real' amp? I'm more into rock/punk/country than anything else, and in addition to the Gretsch I've since started playing a Telecaster quite a bit. I play to improve and to entertain myself, so I am not looking for something gig-worthy by any means - but I do want the ability to get more options (honk! twang!) out of the Tele than I can with the mini amp.

=K

Fender GTX100 modeling amp.  Many built in amps and effects to build your own tones (in addition to many already built tones that come preloaded and 1,000’s more available for download).  Includes a footswitch so you can turn the built in effects on and off while playing.  Allows you can get an into into pedal effects for a very reasonable price. I usually start with a downloaded tone and then tweak it to my liking and how it sounds using my particular guitars.  

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 2
michael@rockon
Full Access
michael@rockon
Full Access
08/17/2023 7:40 pm

I fully agree with ScubaCPA. It’s a fantastic option with a ton of flexibility. Makes finding the right tone so much easier. These modeling amps have only improved over time. 

Long Live Rock!

# 3
innocci
innocci
08/17/2023 9:17 pm

=K

I would recommend the fender mustang line of amps.

# 4
PeX127
PeX127
08/19/2023 11:07 am

My different opinion:

I think at the beginning it is better using a real tube amp and some stomp boxes, in order to learn how an amp and the effects work. In addition you will have a better interaction between guitar and the amp. Without this experience you will never know what is a good or a bad simulation. 

Low budget tube amp also called monoprice 15.

This one and some pedals (distortion/overdrive, Chorus, Delay) is my recommendation.

Sry for bad English. 

"If you think you are too old to rock'n'roll then you are" (Lemmy Kilmister)

# 5
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/21/2023 12:27 pm

I went from the little Orange practice amp to the Fender mustang lt25. Good reviews on YouTube. A reasonable step up. 50w and 100w is loud in a domestic set up

edited
# 6
ken5064
Full Access
ken5064
Full Access
08/22/2023 6:39 pm

=K

Boss Katana 50 MkII.

# 7
robertbell6554
robertbell6554
08/23/2023 9:48 am

I agree that using a real tube amp and some stomp boxes can be a good way to learn how an amp and the effects work. I also agree that the interaction between guitar and the amp is important.
However, I think that using a digital modeling amp can also be beneficial for beginners, especially if they have a limited budget or space. A digital modeling amp can offer a variety of tones and effects in one device, which can save bloxd io money and hassle. It can also be easier to use and more versatile than a tube amp, as it can be connected to a computer or a smartphone for recording or editing.

edited
# 8
robertbell6554
robertbell6554
08/23/2023 9:48 am

I mean I reply PeX127

# 9
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/24/2023 2:54 pm

An option not mentioned but something I now use exclusively for practice is Amplitube 5. This is a low cost pc app that is pretty unbelievable in what it offers. If you want to explore tone, even the cheapest version will give more amp/pedals/cabinet options than most people will explore.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 10
rodolfowillis8
rodolfowillis8
09/15/2023 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I am also looking for information online on the best amp and I am glad I found your post where I found all my answers. While searching for it online, I also found https://academized.com/writing-services/do-my-paper website where I found an essay writer who will do paper for me and I won't have to worry about my essay assignments and can concentrate on learning guitar.

edited
# 11
crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
09/16/2023 1:03 pm
#10 Originally Posted by: William MG

An option not mentioned but something I now use exclusively for practice is Amplitube 5. This is a low cost pc app that is pretty unbelievable in what it offers. If you want to explore tone, even the cheapest version will give more amp/pedals/cabinet options than most people will explore.

In addition to William MG's suggestion, a good rig to build from this would be...

• You need a computer, a decent mid-range laptop is plenty

• You need an interface, a good affordable starter is the Focusrite 2i2

• Some nice speakers/monitors

• You need to get a guitar amp plugin..
    Amplitube5 - Free version, plus you can expand by buying addons
    Search for "free guitar plugins", some are really good
    And you can change this up years into the future, e.g. I'm looking to get the Milkman Creamer plugin which has amazing sounding cleans

• Get a DAW
    Reaper is popular AND cheap
    But there are many to choose from

Now you have a rig where you can...

• Practice many tones and keep a tight control on output volumes
    You can even hook up to headphones

• Record yourself playing and then playback to properly hear yourself

• Load backing tracks into the DAW
    Change playback speed
    Change playback key
    Loop section of backing track
    Record yourself playing against the backing track

• Create your own songs, add MIDI drums, MIDI bass, etc. depending on DAW capabilities

Sure you can't PERFORM to an audience with this setup.
But if I were to start again from scratch I would never buy an amp.
I would put that amp money into gear to be able to record myself.

So you should ask yourself "will I perform to people in the near future"?
Or will you focus on practicing/learning for quite a while?
If you don't see yourself performing in the near future then maybe you should consider more of a studio setup?

YMMV.  Best of luck

# 12
tony.musicstreet
tony.musicstreet
10/01/2023 3:26 pm

Blackstar ID core, in 10w,20w or 40w are all excellent beginner / practice amps which give you a bit more than the basic clean / crunch if that's what you're looking for.   the insider software allows you to interface the amp with your computer and play backing tracks at different speeds until you're comfortable playing up to tempo.  there's also sound editing capabilities within the software and a tuner. as a bedroom amp, the 10w is perfect, loud enough and gives you great tones.  (3.5mm socket lets you plug in your headphones so you don't annoy the rest of the house too much)
https://musicstreet.co.uk/products/blackstar-id-core-10w-v3-stereo-digital-combo

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.