Greetings - Just started my new beginner YouTube channel

shawneastman
shawneastman
08/06/2023 11:40 am

Hey all, I'm Shawn, 38 & fresh to the guitar.

Yesterday was my very first day at getting stuck in (probably spent a little too long at it - finger tips feel like I burned them on a stove!).

I spent my first hour awkwardly & awfully strumming between D & A chords, but hey, I'm excited for the months ahead.

Looking back on this first video I can already see I need to reallyyyy slow every thing right down & it reinforces the need to let things develop in its own time. Oh, and I need to get to grips with holding the pick properly. After just one hour I can recommend recording yourself practicing if you don't already!

I noticed there's not a great deal of content around showcasing absolute beginners & it's clear to see why - seasoned amateurs & pros tend to sound a lot better! So, I decided to start this channel to not only periodically document my own progress from the very first day, but because I thought it may also be useful & intriguing for other beginners both now & further down the line.

A sort of way to truly realise that we're not alone in the same boat frustrated & wondering if things could ever possibly get better.

Well, I'm going to find out if they do, anyway!

If you fancy offering motivation, encouragement, tips etc. do feel free to follow along!

https://youtu.be/zT9ij0RV4M4

Follow my guitar learning journey: YouTube - @NewLifeWithGuitar

# 1
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/07/2023 10:23 pm

Thanks Victor, very wise words & yes I'll be sure to appreciate the very small steps of improvement over time. Small steps of improvement that I imagine continue to occur for even the most accomplished!

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2023 11:41 pm

shawneastman, What a great idea!

So many people learning online feel like they are out there all on their own.

So for you to share your experiences, wins and frustrations with others is a great move.

I am sure it will help other folks realize they are not the only ones whose fingertips feel like they were burnt on the stove!

Slow and steady, lots of repetition and it WILL come together!

Have fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/08/2023 8:35 pm

Thanks Lisa! (Sorry, haven't worked out how to tag a username yet...? šŸ‘€)

Yeah, sharing these early experiences, frustration, pain etc. to spur on other newbies, both now & in the future, is one of the main reasons I want to document all of this.

I'd love to be able to watch and learn first hand how someone overcame a certain type of obstacle & stuff like that....

Appreciate the welcome & well wishes!

# 5
Trish2602
Full Access
Trish2602
Full Access
08/09/2023 6:54 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: shawneastman

Hey all, I'm Shawn, 38 & fresh to the guitar.

Yesterday was my very first day at getting stuck in (probably spent a little too long at it - finger tips feel like I burned them on a stove!).

I spent my first hour awkwardly & awfully strumming between D & A chords, but hey, I'm excited for the months ahead.

Looking back on this first video I can already see I need to reallyyyy slow every thing right down & it reinforces the need to let things develop in its own time. Oh, and I need to get to grips with holding the pick properly. After just one hour I can recommend recording yourself practicing if you don't already!

I noticed there's not a great deal of content around showcasing absolute beginners & it's clear to see why - seasoned amateurs & pros tend to sound a lot better! So, I decided to start this channel to not only periodically document my own progress from the very first day, but because I thought it may also be useful & intriguing for other beginners both now & further down the line.

A sort of way to truly realise that we're not alone in the same boat frustrated & wondering if things could ever possibly get better.

Well, I'm going to find out if they do, anyway!

If you fancy offering motivation, encouragement, tips etc. do feel free to follow along!

https://youtu.be/zT9ij0RV4M4

Hi Shawn , was refreshing to read your post. Im a beginner too for me it seems slow progress I started by watching a few free tube lessons but quickly got stuck and needed more help. 
This site is brilliant and there is so much to learn , I found Guitar tricks around the middle of May 2023 so I’m about 2-3 months into it now . 
I felt just like you ,very sore fingers stopped me from practicing too much in the first 2-3 weeks and they still get sore if I play for too long usually an hour or two . 
I started with Anders course and when it got a bit difficult I started Lisa’s course and Im now back to Anders again they both have different approaches so that helped me . 
Im still a bit slow on chord changes so I’m working on that the most and trying to learn beginner songs . 
I felt like I’d never be able to play at all but I love the lessons and learning everything it’s really fun so I look forward to my practice . 
Im on fundamentals 2 now and a lot to learn .

Enjoy the process 

Trish 

Trish 91

# 5
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/10/2023 11:13 pm

Thanks Trish - Nice to hear from another beginner & someone who's just a few months ahead of me! Must be exciting to reach the point where you can actually start working on songs!

The sore fingers are frustrating, but if you're now managing up to an hour or two then that's encouraging! Can barely do 20 minute chunks at the moment... usually twice a day though to add up to 40-odd minutes daily practice. Even in 5/6 days I feel there's a nice bit of progress.

I appreciate your input!!

# 6
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/13/2023 1:12 pm

Week 1 Learning Guitar - I Screwed Up My Reward

One week update after my first 7 days of learning. I review the progress I've made on my D & A chord changes, get ecstatic about a slight advancement in the guitar pick I'm now using (from a beginner's beginner pick to just a beginner's pick), highlight my new pitch pipe & royally screw up my strum reward.

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2023 3:20 pm

WOO HOO! Isn't it cool to learn new stuff?

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/20/2023 11:27 am

Week 2 Learning Guitar - First Time Strumming to Music!

This week I continue just strumming between D & A chords but also introduce some music to the practice sessions! Makes the D & A chord change practice far less tedious! Looking forward to learning the E chord & adding that to my practice from now onwards.

edited

# 9
shawneastman
shawneastman
08/26/2023 7:26 pm

Week 3 Learning Guitar - Playing First Song!

This week I get a lovely new leather guitar strap, learn & practice the E chord &... play my first song!

# 10
robertnewman067
robertnewman067
09/13/2023 7:42 am

Oh amazing, we started on the same day! Thank you for sharing this, I feel some of your pain =((

angry gran

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.