Greeting from England

tulwinn
Full Access
tulwinn
Full Access
07/27/2023 7:15 pm

Hi Im old, almost 50!  

Ive grown up with all kinds of music but I was lucky to have all sorts of great bands around when growing up, from Metallica to Black Crowes and Rage against the Machine. I like all kinds of music but Ive recently had the urge to actually learn to play.

I recently switched my work life from Computing to nursing so I must like a good challenge, I hope learning guitar isn't a step too far.

Hopefully you will be able to nudge me in the right direction on occasion...Ok ok, I may need more than occasional tips

# 1
innocci
innocci
07/27/2023 9:48 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tulwinn

Hi Im old, almost 50!  

Ive grown up with all kinds of music but I was lucky to have all sorts of great bands around when growing up, from Metallica to Black Crowes and Rage against the Machine. I like all kinds of music but Ive recently had the urge to actually learn to play.

I recently switched my work life from Computing to nursing so I must like a good challenge, I hope learning guitar isn't a step too far.

Hopefully you will be able to nudge me in the right direction on occasion...Ok ok, I may need more than occasional tips

If you're in nursing, you're definitely a dedicated, hard worker, so that alone will benefit your journey learning to play a musical instrument. I believe you're going to find nursing a bigger challenge then the guitar, I hope that gives you hope. 

# 2
chemical_fusion
Full Access
chemical_fusion
Full Access
07/29/2023 6:10 am

Hello Old, I'm from England and I'm nearly 50 years young too!   

Also had the urge last year and I'm so glad I did!  The progress I have made has just been fantastic and I absolutely love it!   

If you can promise yourself that you will play for 5 minutes a day (which will turn into hours) Start slow, don't give up, persist, push yourself to learn more, but also know when to take a break and rest.   You can do this! 

Pick a guitar you like the look of as you will want to play it more. 

Good luck and have fun!

# 3
tulwinn
Full Access
tulwinn
Full Access
07/30/2023 7:57 am
#2 Originally Posted by: innocci

If you're in nursing, you're definitely a dedicated, hard worker, so that alone will benefit your journey learning to play a musical instrument. I believe you're going to find nursing a bigger challenge then the guitar, I hope that gives you hope. 

Hah I hope you are right there.thanks for the encouragement!  I won’t give up easily at least.

# 4
tulwinn
Full Access
tulwinn
Full Access
07/30/2023 8:00 am
#3 Originally Posted by: chemical_fusion

Hello Old, I'm from England and I'm nearly 50 years young too!   

Also had the urge last year and I'm so glad I did!  The progress I have made has just been fantastic and I absolutely love it!   

If you can promise yourself that you will play for 5 minutes a day (which will turn into hours) Start slow, don't give up, persist, push yourself to learn more, but also know when to take a break and rest.   You can do this! 

Pick a guitar you like the look of as you will want to play it more. 

Good luck and have fun!

hello fellow almost 50!  5 minutes a day sounds doable.

I’ve not done it every day so far. Sometimes I’m ready to just crash.

I have started the basics course and sometimes I’ll do a couple of a whole chunk of them.

I wouldn’t say the guitar I have is a looker. I wanted to see if I was capable first. I’m not sure where I would start to be honest. 

thanks for the welcome!

# 5
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/31/2023 3:52 pm

Welcome!

You’ll like it here I’m certain.

Rumble

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/04/2023 9:57 pm

Hi tulwinn,

Welcome to GuitarTricks!

And what a nice way to balance out our switch from computing to nursing.

Stick with it, and have FUN!

Best wishes, Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.