What made you take up the guitar..

Grub
Grub
06/17/2003 8:59 am
rather than the bassoon or accordian? was because the guitar's a chick magnet or did you come across it by accident?
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
06/17/2003 1:36 pm
I've always known that I wanted to play music... that was just something I felt. I tried out a lot of instruments before coming to the guitar - piano, drums, harmonica, trumpet, clarinet, djembe, violin, but the guitar just felt right when I held it. On top of that it seemed that guitar players were a lot cooler than the clarinet players I had seen on tv ;)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/17/2003 2:01 pm
I've never seen a basson.
The accordion looked to me like some piano with some accoutrment,and since I laready was intersted in the piano(I'm getting a keyboard and books tomorrow,wwooooohhooooo!!!!!)I didn't play accordion.
And,there is no instrumnet that has penetrated the world as much as the guitar.
# 3
Grub
Grub
06/17/2003 2:05 pm
Originally posted by TheDirt
I've always known that I wanted to play music... that was just something I felt. I tried out a lot of instruments before coming to the guitar - piano, drums, harmonica, trumpet, clarinet, djembe, violin, but the guitar just felt right when I held it. On top of that it seemed that guitar players were a lot cooler than the clarinet players I had seen on tv ;)

yes but jazz sax and trumpet players have always been cool too.
# 4
joshdean52
joshdean52
06/17/2003 5:03 pm
I picked up guitar from my friend about 2Ā½ years ago. He taught me "wipeout", my first song. Other than the fact that it's a huge chick magnet (I'll play part of some NFG song, and the girls are like, "Ohmygod, that is sooo cool!!! You must be really good!!!"), it's the funnest instrument to play.
"Thank God for the power chord!!!"
-Sting
# 5
MikeP.
MikeP.
06/17/2003 5:23 pm
Well I'm a product of the 80's. So I was always around aspiring musicians growing up (80's...a great year to be a guitarist). Since day one I was always into rock n roll (Both my parents listen to rock). I can remember at the age of 4 falling in love with the Beatles's "Day Tripper" wich I would play over and over. But it wasn't untill I heard Ozzy/Randy's Crazy Train on our local radio station that I said "I want to play guitar!" :-)
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 6
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
06/17/2003 5:56 pm
Hmm..I have always wanted to play music. Until when i was a 12 years old then when i first listen to heavy stuffs such as metallicas. Then I wanted to play like them! Just them. :)
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 7
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
06/17/2003 8:27 pm
I took up the guitar because for some strange reason, playing the saxophone wasn't getting me any chicks... just kidding.... I still thought girls were gross cootie magnets when I started playing guitar....
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 8
Grub
Grub
06/18/2003 8:41 am
Originally posted by hairbndrckr
I took up the guitar because for some strange reason, playing the saxophone wasn't getting me any chicks... just kidding.... I still thought girls were gross cootie magnets when I started playing guitar....

I also play sax and when I was a kid this was more of a chick magnet as more people then played guitar.
# 9
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
06/18/2003 4:06 pm
Started off w/drums (becuase thats what my brothers played), I told myself if I couldn't do a drumroll within a year I would quit. Well a year went by, still couldn't to a drumroll so I quit. Most drummers I talk to now tell me that was a pretty unrealistic goal.
I was inspired to pick up the guitar after hearing a recording of Hendrix perform the National Anthem. I knew at that moment that was what I wanted to do. Well now it's been like 22yrs and I still can't play the Anthem like Jimi.

If I didn't play guitar, I would want to play:
1)Bass (what a kick ass instrument, love that low end)
2) Sax (tenor players play the coolest sh#$%^)
# 10
Air
Air
06/18/2003 8:38 pm
Who the hell wants to start to play bass? I've allways wondered that.
Must be the most boring intrument to learn, you cant do solos (and if u try it sounds like ****, like bill dickinson), u get the least attention, ur barely heard, and it is not far as expressive as a guitar...
(no offence to all the bass-players out there)
# 11
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/18/2003 9:08 pm
Originally posted by Air
Who the hell wants to start to play bass? I've allways wondered that.
Must be the most boring intrument to learn, you cant do solos (and if u try it sounds like ****, like bill dickinson), u get the least attention, ur barely heard, and it is not far as expressive as a guitar...
(no offence to all the bass-players out there)

I'm also a bass player, and yeah your right it is sometimes boring. But then again if your good and you know how to put down a good groove its probably the funniest. If your just a guitar player it's hard to understand, but playing bass is a whole another style. That and it matters what style of music you want to play. In some styles the bass is alot better than guitar. Like funk, jazz, and reggae. :)
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 12
Air
Air
06/18/2003 9:18 pm
Yeah I agree, I just ment that most metal songs are kind of boring for bass.
# 13
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/18/2003 9:34 pm
Yeah definitely anything that requires the bass player to just play the root note is very boring. I usually get the other guys ticked cause I f@#cking hate the root note, and I never stick with it. :D . It's possible to do cool stuff but the bass player has to be more careful. Which is a pain in the neck. But if you know how to put down a good groove, bass is alot of fun.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 14
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
06/18/2003 9:51 pm
I dont know why but I have always wanted to play guitar. I wanted to be able to play in an 80's metal band even though I didn't grow up in the 80's. Theres just soething about the guitar I dont know what it is but now Im playing it so it doesn't really matter. Anyways about that whole chick magnet thing thats the stupidist crap Iv'e ever heard bro. If your gonna play guitar, play because you want to not for some emo band groupies.
# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
06/18/2003 10:32 pm
Ive always had a love for guitar.My brother used to bring me to the music store as a child while he tried out guitars,amps e.c.t.I bugged my mom for months to get me a guitar and some lessons.I didnt get either.Around thirteen I met some friends who all played guitar and other instruments.They jammed alot..naturally I wanted to jam too.I got a cruddy jay turser guitar and some no name 10 watt amp and practiced my as* off.The main thing that drove me to learn was the immense amount of expression the guitar was capable of...I wanted to understand what about music/guitar moved people spiritually,emotionally and physically and I wanted to produce the sounding result.
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
06/19/2003 1:49 am
You know I got into playing rock music because I thought those chicks in Poison were pretty hot on their album cover.... Imagine my surprise when I saw their first video.... I thought to myself "Man those chicks have no tits and their voices are awful low.... Aw man no way!!!"

I don't think I ever recovered from that one...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 17
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
06/19/2003 2:10 am
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAH!! That's funny!!!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 18
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
06/19/2003 2:23 am
Oh yeah, I wanted to pick up the guitar because my brother has been in a band since he was 10 years old (making me about uhmm 4 at the time). He would always have his band practices here and stuff, and even though I had full access to a drum set, I always wanted to play the guitar. I don't know what it was but I was just drawn to it. My Grandmother used to play a mean banjo and yodel(sp) at the same time. Even though I used to snicker at her, I can now honestly say she was a bad ass banjo player, I never knew how hard it was to pick with all 5 fingers until I actually started playing.

Well she played guitar as well, and she gave one to my brother and I used to play it (make noise I mean by that). I was about 10 or 11 now. Well then he kept annoying me with it one day when I was trying to watch TV and I called my mother at work. She got pissed off because we called her like 278 times that day, so when she got home, she smashed the guitar into a thousand pieces. Needless to say I was upset.

Then came junior high, I was about to recieve my first guitar and begin lessons, but wait, changed my mind and opted for football instead (doh!). Then after I graduated highschool, 18 years old, I bought my first guitar, a Squier strat. Traded that in about 2 weeks later on another Squier. Have had that guitar ever since and have picked up a Washburn acoustc/electric since then.

All in all, I wish I would've started when I was 10 or 11. I'm 21 now and have been playing since I was 18. Still so much to learn.

P.S. I'm getting a new guitar this month :)
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 19
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
06/19/2003 5:37 am
I always loved the tone of stringed instruments (violin,guitar,cello,oud,sitar,etc.) , and I had a nice musical background in my family , some of my aunts/uncles played instruments as a hobby (but unfortunately none is a professional musician) , so I played piano (and a little accordion) in my childhood .
Then as a teenage Rock/Metal-head in the mid 90's , I picked up the guitar at 14 (I'm 20 now).
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.