guitar cabs

theeshredder
theeshredder
06/10/2003 6:34 am
i am ready to get a new cab for my half stack to make it a full and i was thinking of getting a 2x15 randall cab to go with my mesa 4x12.does anyone know if it will add alot more bass to my tone or more highs cause i want some more low end tone.my friend was telling me to get a mode 4 cab what do you ppl recommend
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
06/10/2003 3:18 pm
I wouldn't get a mode 4 cab cause those are made for one purpose, to go with the mode 4 head... Not to mention they are wayyyyyy expensive... they are like 800-900 bucks.
Also another theory of mine, but please...by all means feel free to flame me if I am wrong... But a bass cabinet for a guitar is just....it's just wrong man.... The guitar is a full range instrument, and if was meant to play bass, then it would be a BASS guitar... The only guitar that MAY even benefit from that kind of situation would be a baritone.

Check out a Carvin cabinet, hell even their Legacy cabs are like in the 500 dollar range... but their normal cabs have a great tone and are inexpensive.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/10/2003 10:07 pm
i got a baritone.I was thiking about getting a randall 2X15 cab like the ones that dimebag uses they sound pretty heavy
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/11/2003 7:00 am
It isn't the size of the speakers (10", 12" or 15"), as much as what went into the design of them. I used to play a Garnet BTO with two Altec-Lansing 2-15 cabs that belonged to my bass player. It sounded really good for six-string. Those speakers were meant to be full-range drivers, and one of the industry's dirty little secrets is the fact that, at least until recently, bass amps were no different from guitar amps. The old Fender Bassman was bought by more guitarists than bass players. And if you ever get a chance to plug into a classic tube Ampeg SVT with an 810 cab, pack a few sets of fresh underwear for the occaision! :D

These days I have an Ampeg VT-22 combo (2-12) and an Ampeg VT-40 combo (4-10). I'm replacing the VT-40's four CTS 10's with one WeberVST ceramic California 15, and building a new cab for the combo. My research indicates that I should get better clarity across the spectrum, and less cone breakup.

To get back to your question, speaker cabs should be auditioned the same way as the rest of your gear: ears open, eyes shut. There are too many variables, in terms of guitars, pickups, string sets, amps, amp & effect settings, etc, etc, etc, to be sure of getting the same kind of sound as someone else. And then, even if you were to invade a Pantera gig, and kick Dimebag off the stage, when you played his gear, set up his way, you would still sound like [u]you[/u].

You're looking to drop a pile of coin on a piece of gear - you're entitled to 'test drive' some stuff before you lay your money down.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/11/2003 9:17 pm
of course im going to try the cabs out before i buy them i just asking for ppl's opions
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.