mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/29/2003 12:38 pm
I read the newspaper today and I read an article that said that Metallica
didnt send any copies of their new album "St. Anger" to
any record-companies or anything, they just have one copy that they
carry around so that no-one can put the songs up on the internet.
And apparently, they were happy because none of their songs were
available on the internet yet. This, however, is terribly wrong.
So I searched the web to see if they'd actually succeeded this time,
and I found that you could download that album everywhere.
They have a serious problem with security, because since
Metallica is rich, they can afford alot of security, so I think its
reasonable to guess that Metallica trusts all the people
that have been able to spread the songs.

At first I thought they were a bit too much, my friend downloaded
a song from Napster and a few weeks later he got a lawsuit in the mail,
thats pretty much just ridiculous (was that spelled right?).
But now, I kinda feel sorry for them, and I do hope people
buy it instead of download it if they want the album.
And for the record, I didn't download any songs, I'm going to buy the record.
Go Metallica!

Edit: "For the record, I'm gonna buy the record."
Oops, what a comedian I am..

[Edited by mc9mm on 05-29-2003 at 07:40 AM]
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/29/2003 2:26 pm
It's very funny , cuz the album (full album) has been already available for downloading from kazaa and similar softwares WEEKS before the official release date.

Anyway , the album isn't so bad as I thought it would turn out to be... Still in half step down tuning (there were rumours about a seven strings guitar stuff) , THERE ARE GUITAR SOLOS (and they're nice somehow) , and most of all there's no rapping (thanks god) .
The bad thing is that no song was significantly cool or special to me , older stuff are stuck in my mind.

The only reason I think I'm gonna buy the album is for the free DVD included ... Metallica always kick butt with their performance.

[Edited by SLY on 05-29-2003 at 09:29 AM]
# 2
frettycrouger
frettycrouger
05/29/2003 10:24 pm
The stones?....please...at least Hammit can play guitar. The Stones guy couldn't at all! (and still cant)

But i havn't heard any of Metallica's new stuff...so i cant say anything about it

I was kind of hoping they would go with the "as fast as we can just like old times" atitude...
They have enough fans to the point where if their fast stuff wasn't exactly "huge" to mainstream...all the die hard old fans would still buy it and love it.

appearantly that didn't happen...:(
Pray for Jason Becker
# 3
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
05/29/2003 11:25 pm
personally i tihnk metallica needs to give up in there music days and quit griping over downlaoding songs off the internet..there always gonna be donwloadable and there not much they can do..have u heard there cd with a symphony or somthin..i heard it sucked but ive never heard it
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 4
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
05/30/2003 3:58 am
Yah I downloaded a couple of songs from kazza. I also got that st. Anger video. When the video started I was like this isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but then some guy started singing in the backround and it didn't sound like it belonged in the song. I think their trying to fit in with the whole mtv crowd thing they have more of a nu metal sound now. I wish they would just play like they used to, like at woodstock and stuff.
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/30/2003 9:51 am
Keith Richards can't play guitar? OK, the trouble with saying that is you just lose all credibility you might have gained as a musician. I mean, I don't want to sound harsh, but, how long have youu played guitar? I know you'll now say, like "35 years nonstop, went to Berklee, studied with Pat Metheny", or whatever, yeah, yeah. Keith Richards is incredible, have you ever listened to an interview with him. He has an immense respect for all types of music (something that never goes astray - note point here), and he's got a remarkable ability for demonstrating different styles, what he hears in music, how he plays it... I'm not even a huge Stones fan, but most guitarists couldn't even carry Keith's luggage.
I bet you that Hammitt would have a lot more respect for Keith's guitar skills than you seem too.
Anyway, chill.... (maybe I should take my own point :D )
I'd be happy to be able to play as well as either of them (though I'd prefer to play like Keef) :D
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
05/30/2003 2:15 pm
I dont mind metallicas "st. anger" song, but it reminds me of several different playing styles all mashed into one song. At one point its old metallica, then its the loaded metallica, then its wierd metallica. Bands gotta reinvent or there music just goes outta style.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/02/2003 6:45 am
I've also heard the St. Anger song. God I hate it. For one, it doesn't sound like metallica, it sounds like some nu metal crap. James sounds like a goat being slaughtered. Lars is just a douchebag. The new bassplayer is freaky, and I don't like his screaming (YOU FLUSH IT DOWN, YOU FLUSH IT DOWN). I think he's talking about metallicas career. And Kirk, I wish he'd do something. If I could, I'd invent a time machine, kidnap Kirk Hammett, take him back to 1986, and let the 1986 kirk beat the living **** out of the 2003 kirk.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/02/2003 2:55 pm
I totally agree with that.
# 9
frettycrouger
frettycrouger
06/03/2003 2:52 am
I dont need to chill about keith richards...i'm actually laughing at the discussion.

I have only been playing guitar for 2 years...but strongly listened and leant my ear to music my whole life.

Its only my opinion man...I'm glad you have a respect for richards like that...he's a good songwriter and chord strummer...but in no means does he have any respect for me for his "skills" (unless he hasn't fully unleashed them)
*that is MY OPINION* (YOU have your OWN!)

No hard feelings? :)
Pray for Jason Becker
# 10
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/03/2003 3:14 am
Heard St. Anger for the first time. Majorly dissapointed. Its not horrible, but I thought at first it was System of a Down.
# 11
Bardsley
Bardsley
06/03/2003 4:36 am
Hey I just write stuff when it's too late at night and Exile on Main Street is on repeat on my stereo. There were never any hard feelings, man, that's cool. :)
I just reckon Keef is seriously cool. But then I like Bob Dylan's guitar playing!
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 12
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
06/03/2003 1:21 pm
While Im no die hard Metallica fan, I like there older stuff a lot better than St Anger. Its alright, but I'd rather hear the heavy, melodic stuff with guitar solos than seven minute speed metal anthems.
And since its against the laws of nature to talk about Metallica without mentioning Naptser, lets point out something; When you download music, you not just ripping the band off. Know how much a performer gets from a CD? Under $2.00. Your ripping off everyone involved in making that CD, the producer, the promoters, the engineers, the record labels, who make the music available to you anyway. Next time you hear someone say downloading music isn't a big deal, just ask then, "Would you work for free?"

And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 13
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/03/2003 5:13 pm
Downloading is a big deal.And I read somewhere(a respected business tag,if you must know)that people who download songs end up buying actual CD's,until when a guy reaches around 90 downloads per month(or some figure like that),which is when instead of buying CD's,they invest in a good CD burner.....
# 14
icecool
icecool
06/03/2003 5:51 pm
i've just heard St.Anger. And I must say it is bollocks. A mish-mash of styles coupled with unimaginative drumming, odd 'YOU FLUSH IT OUT' screaming, and one guitar player that seemingly plays no other role than to copy what james is doing. (This is the blindingly pointless Hammett of course).

However, I think the new bassist looks funny. Which is always a plus.
# 15
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/03/2003 7:49 pm
Yea, but you would think that Metallica wouldn't have to worry about money that much anymore. Cmon, their billionares. If they are doing it for the music than downloading is good, if not, than they are doing it for money.
# 16
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2003 10:28 pm
Yes but still, if you had 100000$, would you want someone
to steal 100$ from you? No!
It's not a big deal, but it's still your money.
That's at least how I would think.
and although Metallica have alot of money, I hardly
think everyone involved in the production of "St. Anger" are.
If no-one buys their CD because everyone is downloading it,
are Metallica supposed to pay them out of their own pockets? No!

I used to love Metallica, I love metallica, and I'll probably
always do that, no matter what they'll come up with.
(Although I almost gave up on them after S&M. horrible...)
Go Hammett and the rest of you!

# 17
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/04/2003 9:00 am
im not a big metallica fan but i do like there old music killem all,justice for all,and master.but im am really anxious to here what they got to offer this time around.im not going to judge the cd before it comes out cause thats just plain idiotic,cause half the songs you get when you download dont even end up on the album. thats why ppl eventualy go and buy it for the songs that they dont got.i know, ive downloaded songs that say eddie van halen with zakk wylde doing freebird and it ends up being some amish hoky poky **** so i really dont download that much anymore cause of stuff like that.i know you ppl know what im talking about.
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 18
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/04/2003 3:09 pm
O yea. Once I had downloaded a song that said Stevie Ray Vaughn-little wing(live) and it was Vanilla Ice or something.
# 19
theeshredder
theeshredder
06/05/2003 10:34 pm
hahahahahahahahahaha
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.