top jazzers

Grub
Grub
05/28/2003 1:56 pm
I'm getting into jazz guitar in a big way , starting off with current 6 string geniuses like Martin Taylor, Pat Metheney and John Scofield going back to dead greats like Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt and Joe Pass. Awesome stuff. For shred fans try something like Joe Pass 'Live in Montreux 1975' where he's solo, reeling off high-speed single string runs and also playing simultaneous melody/rhythm/bass numbers. I'm seeking out other top jazzers to give a try. Any suggestions?
# 1
Air
Air
05/28/2003 2:08 pm
try that stanly jordan guy hairbndrckr was talking about, kick-ass tapping!
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/28/2003 3:18 pm
Pick up some Charlie Hunter stuff NOW. I cannot reccomend the man enough.

Bing, Bing, Bing, Natty Dread (a jazz adaptation of Bob Marley's first album), Right Now Move, and Emphasizer (by Garage A Trois - a side project of his with Skerik and a couple of percussionist) are all great places to start.

He has several free live mp3s on his website http://www.charliehunter.com
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/28/2003 5:18 pm
shawn lane
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
David C
David C
05/29/2003 1:03 pm
I don't know exactly what genre he fits into (maybe jazz?), but Bill Frisell is worth a look. I like his albums Gone Just Like a Train, and Falling off the Roof (the latter is with the Ginger Baker Trio, with Bela Fleck playing on several tracks).
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
05/29/2003 2:58 pm
I think Jimmy Bruno is probably the best be-bop guitar player on the planet right now. http://www.jimmybruno.com

Early Pat Martino, like Conscuoisness or Exit, Herb Ellis, Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, hmmmm, drawing a blank, but definetly check out Jimmy!
# 6
Ego
Ego
06/04/2003 9:53 pm
For sure Bill Frisell...the guy has done it all from his own solo stuff (Gone Like A Train is brilliant) to industrial insanity with Zorn's Naked City (a la Torture Garden or Leng Tche)

Frisell did a disk with Vernon Reid you don't often hear about: "Smash and Scatteration" -- very interesting.

Don't miss John Mclaughlin

Shawn Lane with Hellborg is great

Mick Goodrick is great but hard to locate

George Benson from way back in the 60s before he went soul/pop -- that guy is a monster (or was?)

But aside from just guitar stuff...essential recordings include Cecil Taylor's amazing piano playing, Dolphy and Coltrane on sax, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Cannonball, Monk, etc...

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.