Soloing in D?

Displacer
Displacer
05/22/2003 1:19 pm
hey everyone,

I haven't ever done any work with theory or anything but i would like to know what is the best scale to solo for in the key of D

also which roots are the best to start at? I know that 10 is one of them, can anyone else help me out?

thanks!

Dispy
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
05/22/2003 5:37 pm
Whats 10?? You mean the 10th fret? Ok I can tell your way off from where you should be. I'll answer what I think your looking at, but my advice is to search different topics in the music theory section of this site. But anyways the best roots to start at is the root (or key) of the song or the root of the chord you are soloing over. Like if the key of the song is E minor, then the best place to start as a root is E. If the chord is an E minor chord then the best places to start are E, G, or B. You can start on any note but the most commonly used are notes that exist within the chord you are playing over. Now for scales, you just match the root of the scale with the key of the song or the root of the chord (depending on how your using it). The scale that you choose should be relative to the key signature or the structure of the chord. If the song is in E minor, you could use the scales, E minor, E harmonic minor, or E melodic minor. There are many others, but the logic behind them is very extensive so I suggest serching the theory site. You'll definitely find more info there. Now to do it over a chord the scale must contain the same notes that exist in the chord. Take an E minor chord and the E minor scale. Both contain the notes E, G, and B so they are compatable. That should get you started.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
theeshredder
theeshredder
05/23/2003 7:42 am
10???????? COME ON MAN IF YOU WANNA SOLO THE CANT USES THOSE TERMS KNOW THE NAME OF THE NOTES YOUR PLAYING FIRST THEN LEARN HOW TO SOLO
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 3
theeshredder
theeshredder
05/23/2003 7:43 am
YEAH GO GET A TEACHER OR A BOOK SOMETHING PLEASE GOD HAVE MERCY ON IS LIL SHREDDING SOUL
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 4
Displacer
Displacer
05/23/2003 8:56 am
i meant the 10th fret on the E string - the note being D

thats what i meant by which root notes are the best, coz if im soloing in the key of D i would assume the best root to start on would be D, IE the 10th fret.

thought eveyrone here would understand it immediately, sorry about the mix up.
# 5
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/23/2003 6:36 pm
Best scale?
Well, that depends on what kind of song you're playing.
But if you just want a scale I like phrygian and harmonic minor scales.
# 6
Displacer
Displacer
05/26/2003 1:42 am
cheers! appreciate the help!

I was rummaging through the forum yesterday to find some help on finding out what notes are what all over the fretboad and found this page -

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

thats helping me out quite a bit, and I'll check out freakguitar.com as well.

Thought I'd post that site in here as well, the zentao one, just incase anyone else is in the same boat as me and reading this post!

thanks again!

Dispy
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.