cables crackling

11/23/2000 3:32 pm
My cable started crackling a couple days ago. It is not the guitar, I checked that. It is in the cable and i would like to know if there is a way i could fix that? I got this cable about 6 months ago. Is that about the average life they last? It is a monster cable.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/23/2000 6:34 pm
cables do that. I don't know how to repair it. you are in luck, though. monster cables are sold with a lifetime warranty. just take it back to the store you got it from.

they should give you a new one.

jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

11/23/2000 10:55 pm
Guitar cables can last up to years, providing you take care of them properly. The main thing is to make sure that they're never bent to the point where there becomes a permanent bend in it, no matter how small. If you can feel little bumps on your cable, that means your cable's been bent too many times. Remember that there are sensitive wires in it, so keep good care of your cable, it can really affect your tone. Also, the shorter the cable the better, so get it as short as possible (but still allow enough cable so that you roam around a bit).

I've never heard of anyone getting a patch cable fixed... they only cost around $20 or so it's probably not worth it.
# 3
Fender1165
Fender1165
11/24/2000 5:36 pm
I've never had any trouble with any of my cables... I typically use a 21 foot monster cable with my band and when I'm just playing alone I use a 10 or 11 foot Horizon cable... they're both about 5 years old now. The only thing that bothers me about walking around with a long cable... I usually coil my cables after using them so they are used to being wrapped and as I walk around they coil themselves up... sometimes tying annoying knots. Nothing to be too concerned about... but that's the extent of my problems with cables. Does anyone know how the new Samson Airline Wireless systems compare to using a cable? I'm thinking of getting one but I don't know if I'd lose any tone...
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
# 4
Jon68
Jon68
11/27/2000 12:59 pm
Cable crackling can be caused by either the cable or the connectors. Try localizing the problem by gently wiggling and squeezing the cable and connectors. Connectors can get dirty and cause crackling. You can clean the phone plugs with a pencil eraser (make sure you get all the crumbs off). Loose contacts in the phone jacks of the amp or guitar can also cause crackling as you "make" and "break" connections. Try borrowing a cable from a friend to see if the problem is in the cable, amp or guitar. If the cable is the problem and the connectors are ok, you may be able to repair the cable by cutting off the bad section and installing a new connector. I always spend a little extra money to buy a cable with a lifetime guarantee. I have only had one failure in the last five years and the dealer replaced the cable without question.
As James said, excessive bending of the cable can flatten the center conductor and damage the shield. All cables have a minimum bend radius - be careful and don't coil your cables too tightly. Be careful to keep crimps out of your cable by keeping amps and other equipment off of cables.
# 5
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/02/2001 6:53 am
Hey Rob, check the input jack on your guitar. If you have a Strat type, the jacks turn loose and causes that kind of popping, I'll bet it not your cable, but some kind of wiring problem with your input. Check it out!
Let us know.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.