Metal Heads, need your advise.

Cody_King
Cody_King
05/22/2003 12:28 am
Hello, Im working on all styles of music but i want to concentrate a bit more on metal, just wondering if you guys could point out things that would help with shredding skills.

just to name off a few of my fav metal bands to get an idea about the kind of sound im talking about.

Fear Factory
Slipknot
Coal Chamber
Lost Prophets
Mudvayne
Nin
Pantera

Stuff like that i like, i know ill probley get plenty of crap from the older metal heads ;), Slipknot has some nice riffs though.

Thanks for all advise in advance no thanks for any flames.
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/22/2003 12:55 am
go to http://www.metalstorm.ee

it will help
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Cody_King
Cody_King
05/22/2003 1:27 am
Thanks Zepp
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/22/2003 3:08 am
I think I can help you with Pantera , the rest ain't my cup of anything.
Also check out Zakk Wylde's "Black Label Society" ,they've got a real agressive metal spirit with cool guitar and vocaling.

If you want to focus on shredding , why learn it from bands while you've got some realy great shreda$$ solo guitarists out there ?
Vai, Satch , Malmsteen ,Jason Becker , Michael Angelo , Paul Gilbert ... To name a few.

If you learn these solo stuff , any song for any band (excluding Dream Theater,Symphony X , and similar ones) would be a piece of cake.
# 4
Cody_King
Cody_King
05/22/2003 5:37 am
Thanks again for all your suggestions, ive been watching thie G3 Dvd, The Summer song has stuck in my head ;) good stuff. im not to fond of Eric Johnson though.
# 5
Cody_King
Cody_King
05/22/2003 9:47 pm
Anyone else?
# 6
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
05/22/2003 11:53 pm
Yah about those bands you said you would hear some **** and ahh I think I will start by saying those bands are retarded if your interested in metal you should check out some old heavy metal like IRON MAIDEN MEGADETH old METALLICA if your into alot of mainstream stuff I personally like children of bodem they have some crazy solos and stuff
# 7
Cody_King
Cody_King
05/23/2003 3:09 am
Crazy solos and technique are great but if the songs make you feel something inside you than there probley doing there job.
# 8
theeshredder
theeshredder
05/23/2003 7:32 am
hey cody i like alot of the same bands you do slipknot is my personal fav these guys are so ****in original and pantera is just ****in insane if it wasnt for dime i wouldnt be playting guitar today and for all you people out there that use the term "sell out" JUST PLEASE SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY OUR "MAIN STREAM" YOU PPL KNOW YOUR LISTINING TO LINKIN PARK AND ALL THAT OTHER **** but just dont let ppl change your opinion on the music that touches you cause i tried the shred **** and i realized what good is this doing for me nothing soloing is just a guy that is like hey look at me im soloing its all about them not the band realize it the band is playing its sounds aswume then solo kicks in what are you listening to the solo thats it dont get me wrong theres so good solos out there but its just to a point were they all sound the same and i have alot of respect for guys like hendrx vai satch angus but ITS ISNT ALL ABOUT SHREDDING ITS ABOUT THE BAND COMING TOGETHER AND MAKING AN INSANE SOUND I COULD SHRED THE HEL OUT A GUITAR BUT YOU CANT MAKE MUSIC THAT CONSIST NOTHING BUT SHREDDING IT WILL JUST GET ON YOUR NERVES
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/23/2003 6:06 pm
Originally posted by theeshredder
hey cody i like alot of the same bands you do slipknot is my personal fav these guys are so ****in original and pantera is just ****in insane if it wasnt for dime i wouldnt be playting guitar today and for all you people out there that use the term "sell out" JUST PLEASE SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY OUR "MAIN STREAM" YOU PPL KNOW YOUR LISTINING TO LINKIN PARK AND ALL THAT OTHER **** but just dont let ppl change your opinion on the music that touches you cause i tried the shred **** and i realized what good is this doing for me nothing soloing is just a guy that is like hey look at me im soloing its all about them not the band realize it the band is playing its sounds aswume then solo kicks in what are you listening to the solo thats it dont get me wrong theres so good solos out there but its just to a point were they all sound the same and i have alot of respect for guys like hendrx vai satch angus but ITS ISNT ALL ABOUT SHREDDING ITS ABOUT THE BAND COMING TOGETHER AND MAKING AN INSANE SOUND I COULD SHRED THE HEL OUT A GUITAR BUT YOU CANT MAKE MUSIC THAT CONSIST NOTHING BUT SHREDDING IT WILL JUST GET ON YOUR NERVES

Is that English?

Anyway, if I were you, I'd check out some Scissorfight. They're masters of formulating heavy assed riffs and despite tuning to A, they also know how to use tone as Trendkillah was describing.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
05/23/2003 11:44 pm
When I said children of bodem was mainstream I mean they are like more heavy metal mainstream I mean if your talking to someone about metal children of bodem comes up auctually what the hell am I talking about they arnt mainstream Infact I dont really know why I put that o yah all you slipnot groupies need to stop trying to tell me I listen to lincoln park and stuff I know what kind of music I listen to jackass 80's metal! asshole
# 11
theeshredder
theeshredder
05/24/2003 2:19 am
yeah i read guitar world once in a while.Why do you ask?as for the jackass 80's what do you mean by that poison,ratt,whitesnake if it is i feel bad for you.By the way are you wearing some neon pink spandex pants.
"to shred or not to shred that is thee question"
# 12
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/24/2003 3:20 am
Does ANYONE use punctuation anymore?

I swear it's impossible to take your opinion seriously when you're just writing a hige big sentence.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 13
Cody_King
Cody_King
05/24/2003 9:56 am
Just looking for tips on metal in general, besdies power coords ;), im doing mostly blues and rock licks and minor pentonic soloing right now.
# 14
Air
Air
05/24/2003 12:01 pm
"Does ANYONE use punctuation anymore?

I swear it's impossible to take your opinion seriously when you're just writing a hige big sentence."

I was just going to say that:)
# 15
TheTrooper
TheTrooper
05/25/2003 1:20 am
when I said jackass 80's metal I was calling the guy a jackass then stateing the type of music I listen to it just looked like it said "Jackass 80's metal" because I dont really use punctuation. I will try to start ok.
I listen to IRON MAIDEN, MEGADETH, METALLICA, Black Sabbath, and some newer bands to like Children of Bodem and alot of hardcore and thrash. I like alot of British metal to. To answer your question about spandix pants...Hell yeah I would wear them Thats how I dress maiden t-shirts really long 80's hair its the way to go. Infact I think Kirk Hammet wore spandex to.
# 16
Air
Air
05/25/2003 9:01 am
who gives a **** what they wore?
# 17
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
05/26/2003 3:57 pm
Definately study some of Pantera's stuff.
Also check out

DEATH - crazy ass shythm and guitar solos
The Sound of Perseverence is good.

MORBID ANGEL - crazy ass rhythm and gutiar solos, just pick an album and choose a few songs.

SLAYER...diabolus and below, perferably something off of Reign in Blood, all that is good fun.

METALLICA...black album and below

MEGADETH before risk...just about anything learn all of Rust in Peace if you want to learn some awesome guitar.

MARTY FRIEDMAN - Some of his solo stuff is pretty insane though not much between his first and most recent endevours. Dragons Kiss is by far his best solo album learn something off of that.

NEVERMORE - heavy rhythm bad ass insane gutiar solos, THe Politics of Ecstacy, or Dead Heart in a Dead World rule and would definately be a good addition.

JASON BECKER - insanely melodic shredder, seek out
Perpetual Burn - the song Perpetual Burn will defiantely give you a run for you money.

MALMSTEEN - why not? Too many people already use the same ideas he does, do the same as them. If anything learn his Concerto Suite for the Electric guitar, since it has all his favorite repeated licks from all of his solos throughout.

ICED EARTH - good for insane triplet rhythms, not so much killer guitar solos. Learn Stormrider.

SYMPHONY X - More insane guitar work, probably kill your hands just as fast as Malmsteen, Becker, Loomis, or Azagthoth...

KRISIUN - definately brutal death metal, super fast rhythm or all kinds and whack ass totally off time guitar solos.

Other than that, I'd say there is a senseless NU-metal old-metal debate going on here. I say, play what you like. Learn whatever you want to learn how to play, however if you play the same song for 5 years and go, "I can play gutiar." The only guitar you will be playing is that song. Learn things outside of your skill level, it doesn't hurt you if you are able to play songs well beyond what people will hear coming from you in the end, if anything it will make it easier on you as a guitarist. Hell I think all you'd have to do is get a chord progression and detune and throw in some angry vocals about how you hate your parents, your life, your ex girlfriend and you've got a nu metal band. My opinion aside...Eh...Any of those bands well are good for improving your level of skill. Most importantly have fun with it.

# 18
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/26/2003 7:47 pm
(I get the feeling that this is going to erupt pretty soon...)

This is one of the most confusing and convoluted threads I have ever subjected my pea-sized brain to... HELP!!!! I'm stuck in here!!!! I'm so turned around I can't find the back button!!! Jon... anyone!!!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 19
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
05/26/2003 9:04 pm
Sekio hejiro(i think i got it right...?)
knows his talent when he sees it...take his advice and "loosley" learn beyond your skill level...once i found how simple the crap i was listening to was(simple isnt always bad and technical isnt always good)i wanted a more intense and challenging genre of music...so i happend upon the likes of malmsteen,death,krisiun,racer x,decapitated(there amazing),children of bodom(amazing as well),carcass,old slayer,pantera,vader,dying fetus,cephalic carnage,immortal,in flames,soilwork,cryptopsy,at the gates e.c.t...well those are some good examples of talent(whether it be pounding brutal/technical rhythms or melodic interludes/flying solo's)anyway...learn a few songs that are difficult and practice until the techniques within are second nature.
i feel a guitarist can be measured by the skill in his hands...not how mant metallica songs they know....imo

keep versitile and explore the fretboard...later!!
Try once,fail twice...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.