Guitartricks.com - Boom, bust, echo

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/13/2003 1:48 pm
I just posted re: PonyOne's 1000th post, and started to reminisce guitartricks.com and how it's changed from when I started coming here in May 2000.

I wonder if anyone is still left from the good old days... like jake sommers, ekstasis, james, magnus (and all those other swedish fellows), loner92, robrules, hmmm.. who else? I remember doing one of these posts a long time ago, and no one really answered me. Maybe they just changed their nicknames...

It seems to me that the membership of guitartricks moves in cycles. Every now and then, a few strong members join and make an impact, post a few thousand times, but then all of a sudden disappear without a trace (case in point, lalimacefolle).

Why is it no one really stays around for any longer than a year or so? I can't see any regular posters who have been around from when I joined... Where did you guys all go?
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
Digit
Digit
05/13/2003 3:04 pm
I don't really think of guitar tricks as just a forum. It's the host stuff and the posted tricks I'm interested in.
The forum is more like the back page of the main site. It's nice to chat once in awhile, but I'd rather spend my time learning new tricks.
I find most of the questions posted here are more for beginners than us seasoned players. Yet another discussion of how to properly tune your guitar or how to clean your fretboard bores the crap outa me so I don't partipate unless it's a subject that I'm interested in.

# 2
Hootayah
Hootayah
05/13/2003 3:31 pm
I've been around for a few years now but don't post that often. I'm with Digit, I come here for the guitar lessons and the forum is almost like a second thought.
Most of the topics discussed here are old stuff to me too. I see the same old questions that were published in guitar magazines in the mid 70's.

Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/13/2003 5:11 pm
Sorry guys, I guess that I forgot how long you've been around!

Well, for me, I do all my surfing at work, and, being an accountant, I can't really whip out my guitar and pratice the latest tricks. So my main use of guitartricks.com is the forum. I have learned a lot from just the forum, and it's most likely played a large role in my improvement as a guitarist.

Any other old folks around? Jon's pretty quiet these days; back in the day he used to be way more involved!

[/sarcasm]
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/14/2003 2:39 am
Originally posted by iamthe_eggman
...Any other old folks around?...
I resemble that remark! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/14/2003 10:45 am
Originally posted by trendkillah
I've been onhere for almost 3 years now and average in at about 1.5 posts a day, does that make me a regular?

yep - a regular that cannot calculate *LOL*

365 * 3 = 1095
1095 * 1.5 = 1642.5

.. so you posted 1624 times? naaah *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
MikeP.
MikeP.
05/14/2003 4:50 pm
In my case (Not that I'm considered an "Oldie"), it's because I'm too busy to post and am busy either practcing guitar, Jamming, Band practice, recording, giiging, working, and or all of the above. I'm also married (Need I say more on that one)

I suspect some of the guys who don't post as much has something like what I posted going on.
I started learning guitar because of Randy Rhoads..but Yngwie J. Malmsteen is my biggest influence.
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/14/2003 5:00 pm
Well, I wasn't really talking about people who don't post often (in fact, you have more posts than me, Mike, even though I have none of the time constraints you mentioned!).

I was just pointing out that some guys come here and rack up posts and then just disappear...maybe they all got married!

[/sarcasm]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.