Guys, I think I'm onto something with these stainless strings...

Professor
Professor
05/10/2003 8:02 pm
I've been non-stop testing a set that I made for my Strat, and they are doing the trick. I'd like someone to test them with me, if you dare. If you'd be interested, and you play light electric .009, .011, and .016, feel free to email me with your mailing addy and I'll send you a set of the three to try out. I'd like that volunteer (guinea pig) to post below, if you would, such that I don't get bombarded with emails (always thinking big like that ;)).

These strings on my strat, despite my freakishly sweaty hands, were left on my Strat unpolished, sweat and all, and did not discolor, rust, tarnish, nothing. I've bent them while playing seven ways to Sunday, and no breakage, indicative to me that I've finally found the right tension/temper wire.

I'm new around here, and sincerely hope I'm not pooping the bed. Momma said, "when you discover a good thing, share it you little bastid."

Thanks to all for your replies in my other thread as well!

Professor.
# 1
JohnLinger
JohnLinger
05/11/2003 11:00 am
I'll try a set of 9's out,if your still doing it!

John
Check out my bands website-
neilschildren.co.uk
# 2
Professor
Professor
05/11/2003 1:08 pm
I got your email, and I'll get them out to you this Monday. Once you get them, and play them for a few weeks, please post back here with some feedback!

Professor.
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/12/2003 8:37 am
you made them yourself? like how?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Professor
Professor
05/12/2003 12:27 pm
I've spent weeks tracking down the right supplier for the right gauge/temper of stainless wire, then finding one who would sell me less that a million-yard spool!

Next was a method of perfecting the winding process for the ball ends, such that they would in no way slip, allowing for detuning when bent.

I'm currently in the testing phase, having put these strings on two guitars. So far, so very good!

Professor.
# 5
hanm
hanm
05/27/2003 5:28 am
Hey prof.
can i get some of that as well? you dont need to put the ball ends on em since i have FR trem system. thx! i emailed u with my mailing addy
# 6
hanm
hanm
05/28/2003 1:03 am
I bought some thinking that the top end would be stainless steel... however they are not, only the bottom end. Many strings that say they are coated, stainless or watever special thing they got on the strings, are only for the bottom end, the top end are just plain nickel coated strings. I know this because i bought some elixers and was dissappointed, and i also got some stainless steels from Ernie Balls, and they too were only bottom end stainless. Elixer also says that they only make the bottom end coated because thats where most of the tone is actually being lost or something, that the topend doesn't really need to be coated. But i find that the top end is more important than the bottom in the style that i play in. well theres the little info on "specially" designed strings... hope that helped.

Woopz... didn't read ur last post... well maybe this will help someone else...
# 7
Professor
Professor
05/29/2003 3:50 pm
I too experienced that the stainless strings do not have quite the tone that nickel-plated strings have, and as a result, when suited up with the stainless strings, your bass-wound strings will be considerably louder.

On my Gibson, I raised the poles on my humbuckers underneath the three unwound strings to compensate. On my Strat, I raised each string very slightly at the bridge with an allen wrench to attain more tone, then raised the pickups slightly on the right sides of all three.

All in all, I've been enjoying the heck outta these things. I've been playing out once a week with my Gibson, bending these jokers in impossible directions. After playing, rather than bothering with oil on a rag anymore, I simply wipe the strings down very quickly and put her back in the case. No rust, no tarnish/discoloration. I am thrilled with these things!

I've sent the strings out to three people now, and would love some more feedback!

Thanks, guys!

Professor.
# 8
hanm
hanm
05/29/2003 8:33 pm
i'll leave some feedback once i get my hands on em. Thanks again!
# 9
Slick00x
Slick00x
05/30/2003 3:40 pm
Hey! Gimme some!
"Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/03/2003 6:05 pm
Originally posted by Professor
...bending these jokers in impossible directions...

Like up and down the fretboard?:D
# 11
metalisbest
metalisbest
06/03/2003 7:58 pm
Hook me up professor.
# 12
hanm
hanm
06/03/2003 10:28 pm
I finally got the strings, thx prof! i'll put em on soon and i'll tell you how its holding up in about a week, n i'll try to report every week after that as well, thx!
# 13
hanm
hanm
06/05/2003 10:13 am
so far i'm loving em...
Heres wat i got so far...
They have a warm tone to them, but very low in volume, the pickups dont "pick" them up as well as standard strings, but i think the audible noise is just about the same as normal strings.
When you bend the strings, it feels a lot smoother, and easier to bend than the standards.
Sustain? Im still not sure about the sustain tho. I need to play with it a little more.
My standard strings usually start to show wear and a little discoloration by the first hour or so of playing, but i've been playing more than 7 hours so far and have no sign of discoloration.
Strings need to be heavily stretched out because they do lose tuning easily without stretching them.
Very smooth and can easily glide through them. Feels almost like Elixers, without too much slip, just right.
The tension seems a little lighter than standards, but i'll still need to play with them alittle more to tell for sure.

Also i already broke my 1st string, so i replaced it with a standard 0.09 string, and this is what i noticed.
2nd, and 3rd are still S. Steel, and they bend easier and more(Higher in pitch) than standard strings. Since the tension seems a little lighter than the standards when you fret very hard on the ultra light strings(0.09) you tend to be a little sharp. On the standards the strings are slightly sharp, but on the S. Steel they are slightly more sharp than the standards.

**Some tips if you got Floyd Rose Trem Systems**
if you can, ask prof for ball-less strings, it will make it a lot easier on him and you as well.

after you finish stringing your guitar, dont clamp the nut locks, you will need to bend, bend, bend and bend your strings. Play several songs with some crazy bends, use your fingers and your trem bar. After several of songs of crazy bending, then lock your nut.

well bottom line is... I love these strings and i would throw down the standards and pick up these strings any day... Pick up some stainless steel bottom ends to match the top ends, i got mine from Ernie Ball, and i've kept the same set on(well the bottom end only) for about 2 months now, with regular cleaning of course. Now all i just need is another 1st string.. haha... best of luck, hope that helped, i'll be posting everyone week or so to follow up on the strings.

thx prof!

[Edited by hanm on 06-05-2003 at 05:19 AM]
# 14
Professor
Professor
06/05/2003 1:15 pm
And, if you'll send me your mailing addy again, Hanm, I send you another E string right away.

Others of you have asked for me to send you a set of the three, and the problem is I'm outta ball ends! I'm working on getting more. When I do, I think I'll start selling them to substantiate the cost of materials, labor, and shipping, if anyone is even interested.

I've continued to play these strings, and have yet to have one break on me. As far as the volume issue, I too noticed it, but raised my pickup poles to compensate.

Those of you I've sent them to, enjoy! It took 20 years of playing to find the answer to rusty and tarnished strings!

Professor.
# 15
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/06/2003 12:35 am
If you decide to start making .045-.105 bass strings, let me know. I'll see how they fair in competition with Rotosound.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
hanm
hanm
06/06/2003 3:27 am
i dont think he would be able to make those, since they are wound. I dont think he has a machine to wind the strings...
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/07/2003 2:18 am
D'oh!
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
zepo
zepo
06/27/2003 1:39 am
I used to play stainless steel religiously but I finally got tired of how bright they are, it was great if I needed to play something clean but even then they we're a little bit too snappy, lasted a good extra two weeks before I trashed 'em but now I'm hooked on Exlirs =P . Though if you can make a set in 10's and 11's I wouldn't mind trying them out.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 19
Koolen
Koolen
07/19/2003 9:47 am
I like to play for several hours a day. I brake a string about every mounth from playing so much. Also the nut on my guitar broke as well, I am fixing that on monday.

So, if you are still doing it I would love to beat the hell out of the string, actually just play.

If you are still doing it I could email my adress to you.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.