the new boy

GazTucker
GazTucker
05/02/2003 1:17 pm
I bought a Fender squire as my first guitar at the start of this week. ive started learning basic chords A,D,E and the A minor pentatonic scale. Never done any kind of music before so any tips would be welcome to keep me away from bad habits.
Also does anyone have any tips for switching chords faster, although i have a feeling what the answer will be..Practise.
And when will i be as good as Kirk Hammett, just kidding!
Dont think Feel!
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/02/2003 1:35 pm
Welcome aboard Dude !
I had a Squire Strat in the early 80s and it was a completely excellent axe !

As far as tips are concerned, get a song book by an artist that you like that contains songs you know and practice as much as you can.

The key thing to remember is that the more time you spend at it the better you will get. This means that although the learning curve is steep at first, keep at it and you will get their! And, the more time you throw at it the faster you will improve.

Another piece of advice is learn to play bar chords and use alternate picking as early on as you can. Bar chords are when you use your first finger as a cappo and this enables you to play say an "E" shaped chord any where on the neck.
Alternate picking is using your up stroke as well as your down stroke when playing scales and chords, it is a really good habit to get into !

Best of luck
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
05/02/2003 11:56 pm
Welcome to the board....I still to this day play my Fender Squier, mainly because I can't afford a new axe, but thats a different story for a different time.

My advice would be to learn as many chords and songs as you can. Don't give up most importantly, it's hard at first, but you'll catch on.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.