Question:

Jojje
Jojje
04/20/2003 12:20 pm
Well, Here is another qustion I have on my mind:

What does Modes mean... what is it...???

I have alot of questions.... But I will never Find out if I don´t ask....=)=)

rock on
Work hard, and you will be rewarded.... If you don´t work hard, you will just stand at the same place... LIFE=GUITAR GUITAR=LIFE
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/20/2003 2:25 pm
I believe this is the most misunderstood concept in music theory , and I don't know a good reason for this misunderstanding since it was meant to ease learning and memorizing theory topics.

Anyway , I'll try to give you a simple explanation for this .

First you have to know that the main scale in western musical theory is the major scale , which is based on this formula [w,w,h,w,w,w,h] .

Let's take the simplest example for a major scale which is the C major scale , the notes in order are [C D E F G A B c] ... The main thing to make this scale sound like a major scale is to start and end on the C note , which is called the root note.

What if you changed that , what will happen ? It will give a new effect , just try it out .
Take the same scale with the samew exact notes , start & end on an A note instead ... [A B C D E F G a] , now that's an A minor scale (aeolian mode) , which is the 6th mode (or degree) of the major scale (key) .

That's how you derive a mode from the major scale (or key) , you simply change the root note which is the starting & ending point of the mode or scale .
So can you list the modes derived from the C maj key ?

[C D E F G A B c] C major , or Ionian mode
[D E F G A B C d] D dorian mode (from the C maj key)
[E F G A B C D e] E phrygian mode (from the C maj key)
[F G A B C D E f] F Lydian mode (from the C maj key)
[G A B C D E F g] G mixolydian mode (from the C maj key)
[A B C D E F G a] A aeolian mode (from the C maj key) , aka natural minor scale
[B C D E F G A b] B locrian mode (from the C maj key)

So , from any major scale (key) you can derive the seven modes by changing the root , and their names in order starting with the major scale are : Ionian , Dorian , Phrygian , Lydian , Mixolydian , Aeolian , Locrian .
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/20/2003 2:28 pm
Try the search option on this page. Just search for modes. This topic has been discussed a billion times and you'll probably find your answer in a past post. So I'm not blowing you off or anything, if you still don't find what your looking for. Re-ask the questions being alittle more specific on what your want to know and I'll be glad to answer it. Latr
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
Koolen
Koolen
04/21/2003 5:15 am
Here are 3 modes. I Have tons more, but these are just examples. Don't forget the sharps.

Aeolian: F# G# A B C# D E

Dorian: B C# D E F# G# A

Ionian: A B C# D E F# G#

Oh these are all in Minor by the way.

[Edited by Koolen on 04-26-2003 at 02:10 AM]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.