Megadeth soloing

Displacer
Displacer
04/14/2003 3:13 am
I have been trying to play a solo for holy wars and have come up dumb founded

first off I know dave mustaine is one of the greats, but I need to know how he does somethings

first thing is towards the end of the second solo he starts to play something like this

--------------------------------------------------|
--21p19p16----21p19p16----21p19p16----21p19p16----|
----------------16----------------16---------------16----------------16|

that is just part of the tab, it goes up slower from about 17p15p12 but he gets faster in this part and im wondering how he does that finger wise
does he put his index finger on the 16th fret of the G and B string and use the others two pulloff the 21 to 19? or is there some other way?

the next thing is sweeping, theres a small sweeping solo in the song and i cant sweep for my life, i can sweep a chord, but i cant solo sweep because you've got to mute every note afterwards, when i do it it sounds like ****...is there any special technique to sweeping?

thanks a lot!

Disp

[Edited by Displacer on 04-13-2003 at 10:15 PM]
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/14/2003 2:31 pm
Yeah. Play the 16th string with your index finger and keep it there the whole time. Make sure your holding both the strings. Now place both your pinky on the 21st string and your ring finger on the 19th string. Make sure all 3 fingers are on the frets. Then pick the 21st fret, pull your finger off that fret, then pull your finger off the 19th fret. So then you'll have a series of pull-offs down to the 16th fret on the B string. Don't try to pick each note, it doesn't say that. Now after when you play the 16th fret on the G string, your going to set both your pinky and ring finger back down, and repeat the process. Pick both the 16th fret and the 21st fret down, so that will be like a sweep. Another thing when you put your fingers down on the 21st and 19th fret, you should be muting the G-strings. Just lay those fingers down so that they touch the G string enough to mute it. Have fun and good luck.

I don't think there is any other way, sorry bro.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 04-14-2003 at 09:34 AM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/15/2003 5:41 pm
The second Marty Friedman sweep solo (distortion) is easier than the first dist. one (in terms of sweeps).

I'll tell you how to finger the first sweep in the first dist solo:

e|---------------------7-10p7-------------
B|------------------8-----------8---------
G|--------------7-------------------7-----
D|-----------9----------------------------
A|----------------------------------------
E|--7-10----------------------------------

1,4,3,1,2,1,4,1,2,1 <==== Left Hand fingering .

That's the hardest sweep in the song , takes some time to get used to the string skipping thing at the beginning.
# 3
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/15/2003 6:04 pm
Sly, is the tab corect ´cause it´s a string skip there and if it´s corect than o my good. Sweeping combined with string skipping isn´t somthing you see evry day our any day.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/15/2003 6:22 pm
Yes Dejan , it's correct ... Marty Friedman is a bada$$ !

Btw, it's the same hardness wether you start with an up/down stroke or even used a hammeron .
# 5
Displacer
Displacer
04/16/2003 5:53 am
damn i wonder if im ever gonna get sweeping?

how do you mute the strings as you go up? is that something to do with lifting the finger of immediately or pressing it down?

also thsi question will make me look stupid, but i aint alright? :P hehe

this - 10b12r10 = pick the 10th fret, then bend to the 12th fret,
then release to the 10th fret.

i just read tat on a tab...i always thought that meant to bend the 10th fret to the PITCH of 12, but do you actually have to pick 10 then move to 12 and bend it? i tried that and it sounds better when i bend to the pitch :|

anyway, thanks for the advice!

Dispy
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/16/2003 1:29 pm
Originally posted by Displacer
how do you mute the strings as you go up? is that something to do with lifting the finger of immediately or pressing it down?

For going up to higher pitch (downstrokes) , I usualy depend on my palm for muting ... For going down to lower pitch (upstrokes) I usualy depend on free fingers (in my picking hand) for muting.
If you hold the pick normaly between thumb and index , you've got three fingers free for muting purposes.

This way works for me , but it may not work for you ... Come up with as much muting techniques as you can , experiment till you are comfortable and everything sounds right.

also thsi question will make me look stupid, but i aint alright? :P hehe

this - 10b12r10 = pick the 10th fret, then bend to the 12th fret,
then release to the 10th fret.

i just read tat on a tab...i always thought that meant to bend the 10th fret to the PITCH of 12, but do you actually have to pick 10 then move to 12 and bend it? i tried that and it sounds better when i bend to the pitch :|

Now that was stupid :p (just kidding of course) .

That's a normal bend & release thing , and the 12th fret is written just as an indication to the pitch of the bending... You shouldn't touch the 12th fret at all !

Another way of writing the bend you tabbed is this :
full
|-10b-r--|

Which means that you bend the 10th fret a whole step (or 2 frets).
# 7
Displacer
Displacer
04/17/2003 5:21 am
lol nah it was pretty stupid ;)

thanks for all the help! glad to get the info, gonna have to work on these sweeps sometime soon, got one heck of a hangover now so ill just stay in a cold dark room for a day

thanks again!

Dispy
# 8
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/17/2003 1:01 pm
If you like Megadeth (Marty Friedman solos) check out Cacophany albums Speed Metal Symphony and Go Off and Marty´s two solo albums Dragon´s Kiss and the new one Music For Speeding. Great stuff, man he´s sucha cool player and his scales are way more exotic than Vai´s.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 9
Displacer
Displacer
04/18/2003 2:51 am
yeah ill be sure to check them out! thanks!

he is an amazing player! same with dave mustaine!, im practicing everyday on megadeth and metallica, as well as slower stuff.
but i really want to pick up that speed their able to play at. the problem is, when i write my own solos for my band i can play them almost that fast. but when i try their solos i got to remember what their playing too...and my mind can't read as fast as the fingers are supposed to go :P
is there an easier way to remember the solos? just make up some parts or osmething? lol

sweeping is still a big problem, going up the sweep (downstroke) i can do fine...but now when im coming down the strings (upstrokes) except for the pulloff i seem to get as stuck as a mammoth in a tarpit 10,000 years ago!
the fingers don't come off as easy going down as they do up for some reason, I'llhave to try that thing that sly said about uing the right hand extra fingers to mute.
it is seeming easier now though then it did a few months back, which is always a good thing :)

Dispy
# 10
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/18/2003 12:44 pm
Originally posted by Displacer
the problem is, when i write my own solos for my band i can play them almost that fast. but when i try their solos i got to remember what their playing too...and my mind can't read as fast as the fingers are supposed to go :P
is there an easier way to remember the solos? just make up some parts or osmething? lol

That's quite normal dude , your solos will always be easier for you , cuz you either improvised it from something stuck in your mind , or you worked it hard to get it sound right for you.

As a tip , when you play someone else's solo , there are memorable licks that you have to copy exactly , and there are scalar stuff that you can ignore and improvise instead.
i.e. When you play a cover solo , just take care of the front lines and improvise the rest. (don't improvise instead of playing hard parts , cuz some smart guitarists might notice ;) )

As for memorizing , you should divide the solo into licks going with chord progression ... Sometimes you'll be changing licks every chord change , or every chord prog loop or change , I'm sure you'll know what to do.

Sweeping is still a big problem, going up the sweep (downstroke) i can do fine...but now when im coming down the strings (upstrokes) except for the pulloff i seem to get as stuck as a mammoth in a tarpit 10,000 years ago!
the fingers don't come off as easy going down as they do up for some reason, I'llhave to try that thing that sly said about uing the right hand extra fingers to mute.
it is seeming easier now though then it did a few months back, which is always a good thing :)

To get your picking hand into the sweep motion , take some small chords , and sweep up & down very slowly with a clean tone ... You'll find it even harder with slow tempo.
As you get it right , rise your tempo , etc. till you're used to this type of picking.
Then comes the fretting hand part , which is a little harder cuz each sweep got it's own fingering , but you should memorize some standard patterns (maj,min,dim,etc.) , as you memorized scale patterns.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.