View post (Megadeth soloing)

View thread

SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
04/18/2003 12:44 pm
Originally posted by Displacer
the problem is, when i write my own solos for my band i can play them almost that fast. but when i try their solos i got to remember what their playing too...and my mind can't read as fast as the fingers are supposed to go :P
is there an easier way to remember the solos? just make up some parts or osmething? lol

That's quite normal dude , your solos will always be easier for you , cuz you either improvised it from something stuck in your mind , or you worked it hard to get it sound right for you.

As a tip , when you play someone else's solo , there are memorable licks that you have to copy exactly , and there are scalar stuff that you can ignore and improvise instead.
i.e. When you play a cover solo , just take care of the front lines and improvise the rest. (don't improvise instead of playing hard parts , cuz some smart guitarists might notice ;) )

As for memorizing , you should divide the solo into licks going with chord progression ... Sometimes you'll be changing licks every chord change , or every chord prog loop or change , I'm sure you'll know what to do.

Sweeping is still a big problem, going up the sweep (downstroke) i can do fine...but now when im coming down the strings (upstrokes) except for the pulloff i seem to get as stuck as a mammoth in a tarpit 10,000 years ago!
the fingers don't come off as easy going down as they do up for some reason, I'llhave to try that thing that sly said about uing the right hand extra fingers to mute.
it is seeming easier now though then it did a few months back, which is always a good thing :)

To get your picking hand into the sweep motion , take some small chords , and sweep up & down very slowly with a clean tone ... You'll find it even harder with slow tempo.
As you get it right , rise your tempo , etc. till you're used to this type of picking.
Then comes the fretting hand part , which is a little harder cuz each sweep got it's own fingering , but you should memorize some standard patterns (maj,min,dim,etc.) , as you memorized scale patterns.