I think i made up a new effect playing ( e.g palm mute)

Jowin
Jowin
04/04/2003 7:04 pm
I was playing my guitar a miniuit ago and put my palm over the strings to keep them quite while i spoke to my dad, when it took it off i jsut happend to notice the strings rang out a bit, so i repeatly tapped and pulled away sharply with my palm on the strings and it made kool sound....... anybody ever heard of anything like this before? or i have i just invented the "palm ****" as i think it could be humorously named :D (seen as you **** your palm on the strings.)

Jowin
sgfhsdfgh
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
04/04/2003 11:17 pm
Sometimes I do that. After a bunch of palm muted chordes I'll take my hand off, and the volume will go up a little bit, then it'll fade out. Kinda neat. Someone should give it a real name or something.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/08/2003 7:47 pm
One odd thing I found for acoustic:
play some strings with your little finger very very very lightly damping the strings really really close to the bridge and then move your finger back. You get this subtle weird kinda of wah sound.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3
Zack Katz
Zack Katz
04/11/2003 4:00 am
It's called harmonics and can be found anywhere on the bridge, but most cleanly in 5, 7, and 12th fretts. It's the delay, essentially, that shares the same wavelength (which is dictated by where on the bridge it is played) on each end of the string.
wearing autumn colors, she says
"one more leaf and it is winter"
one more love, and i am lost

www.zackkatz.com/songs/
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/11/2003 7:23 pm
I'm not talking about harmonics, harmonics are a a very important part of my soloing style so I should know that this is different!
All I'm talking about is dampening the strings slightly and then reducing the dampening effect by sliding the palm of my hand back towards the bridge. This does involve harmonics but only in the same respect that dampening does, by dampening a string you reduce the volumes of both the fundamental note and its overtones, particularly the higher overtones which are reduced to below the threshold of hearing sensitivity.
If you try it you will find that you can get a slight wah effect on an acoustic guitar, something I found most surprising.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.