Perfect Pitch Secret

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/31/2003 6:09 pm
To some of you who may have seen either the article I wrote or stuff that posted on this subject way back in October. I just wanted to let those who care know that I have started posting the exercises on how this ability is acquired. You can find it on the Tricks section on this page. Sorry it took so long, I've just been really lazy. :D But it's there if anyone is interested. Latr
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 1
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/08/2003 9:01 pm
Thanks for that, my pitch sense has long dissapointed me, I'll print these out.
For those of you who can't find his posts this url will help:
http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/search.php
input=noticingthemistake&submit=go

I think that singing should be a great way to get your pitch about right; I happen to know for instance that the lowest note I can reliably hit is open "A". This sort of knowledge could save a lot of beginners a lot of broken strings..

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/08/2003 10:18 pm
Originally posted by u10ajf
I happen to know for instance that the lowest note I can reliably hit is open "A". [/B]

Haha. Me too. I got about a 2 octave range above that too, trying to work up higher. But my voice keeps cracking and I feel like my balls need reattached. LOL

Don't always sing the notes though, take time to just listen to them. Sing when the exercise says to sing them, listen when the exercise says to listen. That's the key, listening. The ability comes from hearing them and gradually letting your ear become more familiar with it's "color".

I.e. Knowing F# sounds like "weir" is just the first step. As you listen more and more, your ear will go up different levels of hearing the F#. As your going up each level of perception your ear will learn more of the subtle differences between F# and all the other notes. Once your at the highest level, F# will no longer be confused with any other note. That's when you have absolute pitch.

Naming and sing them at random is just something that comes natural once your ear has acquired the ability. It's not something you learn or remember. In the end, it's just a feeling.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/10/2003 8:44 pm
Well, it's bloody high time I learned. I'm really bored ****less of the sound of my playing. It's all shapes and shreds my musical imagination has withered away to nothing (it used to be much more active) and I'm sick of being practically at the "Cum-by-ah" stage of ear playing even though I sweep and pinch like a mother. Arghhh. It's time I learned to read music, maybe then I'll really play some.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.