How you make guitar make a screaming sound?

Jowin
Jowin
03/31/2003 2:57 pm

I was just messing around with my rose using frets around 22-24 and taping the wammy bar, i then pulled it up, apparently at justthe right time, and my guitar made an awsome screaming sound. If i could get it to do that at will then i would be a very chuffed individual I tried doing it again but i couldn't get it to do it. So does anybody out there know how to do it?

Thanks Jowin

sgfhsdfgh
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
03/31/2003 8:02 pm
Try playing some pinch harmonics on the open strings, and pulling the bar up. It'll scream, it sounds like what you did, only by accident.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/31/2003 9:05 pm
you probably hit a harmonic on the 24th fret and then pulled the bar up.
# 3
Jowin
Jowin
03/31/2003 9:23 pm
What are pinch harmonics?
sgfhsdfgh
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/31/2003 9:48 pm
Yeah I never figured out the difference between pinch harmonics and artifical harmonics. It doesn't really matter to me though, but you can get a wicked scream sound by playing harmonics as chords, like this:

e:---A.H------
b:---8-----
g:---7-----
d:---5-----
a:---------
e:---------

You just play this chord as you would regularly but as artifical (pinch) harmonics. Try different chords to get different screams. Works really good if your into metal type stuff. Even try adding alittle vibrato or bend to get that squeel effect.

It's kind of a hard technique to master, but it's a bigger screamer than just single note artificial harmonics. Plus you can play them anywhere on the fretboard. The effect you got was probably like chris said.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
03/31/2003 10:42 pm
Listen to some Ozzy Osbourne (Zakk Wylde era) stuff. The one and only stop when it comes to this technique.

You got to master Ā“em man Ā“cause they are very important. Especially for the rythm sections but works fine on solos as well. I love it but IĀ“ve heard that you can get different tone depending on how you hit Ā“em but I ainĀ“t got a clue how to do it. For me they all sound same and cool. Just find the right place and scream.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/31/2003 11:10 pm
Originally posted by Dejan Sajinovic
...IĀ“ve heard that you can get different tone depending on how you hit Ā“em but I ainĀ“t got a clue how to do it.

It's where you pick the string. Say you hit the Artifical harmonic in between your two pickups, you'll get one type of artificial harmonic sound. Then if you hit the artificial harmonic above one of the pickups, you'll get a different tone.

I'll try a diagram. --- string, [---] pick up, X is where you hit the harmonic.

Here's a diagram, hopefully you can make sense of it.

Say you play a harmonic like this.
e:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|
b:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|
g:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|
d:---[-----]-----X------[-----]-----|
a:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|

That would be one tone of a pitch.

Say you play the harmonic like this.
b:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|
g:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|
d:---[--X--]------------[-----]-----|
a:---[-----]------------[-----]-----|

That would be a different sound. Hopefully that makes sense, but what I'm saying is you can get a different tone of pitch from where you pick the A.H on the string. You just have to find the right spot to get the sound you want. Have fun. Others may have different techniques to achieve this but this way works very well.

P.S. The best sounds are in between the two pickups, just move it around and you'll find different pitches with those harmonics.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 03-31-2003 at 05:14 PM]
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/01/2003 8:48 am
you see - when the string vibrates, it is not only one up and down movement of the whole string, but it is full of overtones.

If you have a string that is fixed between two points (on a guitar for example) and you strum it it might look like this:

As you can see it is always a mirrorimage - therefore you can create the same overtones below the 12th fret as you can above the 12th fret!

The method you use to create them, is either Natural Harmonic or Artificial (Pinch) Harmonic. Putting the finger on the string above the respective knotpoint is refered to as "natural harmonics"

Doing it with the pickinghand by slightly touching the string with the thumb when picking is called Artificial Harmonic.

Of course those harmonics are pretty high pitched, for its a pretty high vibration-ratio. thats what makes the screaming sound.

[Edited by Azrael on 04-01-2003 at 02:58 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/01/2003 9:36 am
Now, that was deep.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 9
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
04/01/2003 3:23 pm
Yes, it was. I'll add alittle something too. Although each string has a different range of harmonics, just with one string up to the 12th fret there are several. Take the D string with natural harmonics.

Fret.....Note....Range above open D
3.2...-..A.......(2 octaves and a 5th)
3.8...-..Gb......(2 octaves and a major 4th)
5.....-..D.......(2 octaves)
7.....-..A.......(1 octave and a 5th)
9.8...-..Gb......(2 octaves and a major 4th)
12....-..D.......(1 octave)
this pattern continues to the 24th fret.

As you can see where the harmonic is sounded on the strings, produces a different pitch. And each string being different, so will the harmonic pitches. So you can get any range of pitch just from using harmonics. I know this is a guitar site, but if you've ever heard Victor Wooten. He plays Amazing grace using only harmonics. Samething thing can be done with guitar.

Some may have only known the 5th, 7th, and 12th spots. But sometimes and I know Kirk Hammett from Metallica uses others. This is seen when you see a tab say [3.8], well thats what they mean. Same with A.H. which always has a pitch letter above it. I'll show you why if you didn't know.

Now these pitch letters are determined by where your thumb touches the string when you play a A.H.. I'll show a detailed pictures and the different pitches achieved from picking at a certain point on the string. I'll fret the 5th fret on the D string.

D:--5--~~>---[-V---]--X-----O-----U---[-----]----|

Key:
X = G (2 octaves and a 4th above open D)
O = B (2 octaves and a Major 6th above open D)
U = D (3 octaves above open D)
V = D (2 octaves above open D)

To most it actually might seem senseless, but if your soloing on those higher strings; it can be rather useful. Most hit artifical harmonics where O is located. Which is only the second highest. Try hitting it where the "U" mark is located to get that extra height. Same applies for the "V" marked A.H. which you can use to produce a harmonic that is alittle lower in high pitch strenght. Believe this or not, it will open up your playing by knowing these little things. Try it.

Latr.
# 10
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/02/2003 3:13 pm
Hey, maybe I'm wrong but I always thought "artificial" was referring to a harmonic played on a fretted string and natural's are played on open strings. I understood that pinch harmonics can be either natural or artificial. I guess there isn't really a standard authority for all these terms though. Life's confusing.
By the way, respect! How'd you get diagrams into postings Azrael? Respect Also for that list of intervals, fancy knowing that!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/02/2003 5:20 pm
those diagrams are just pictures - you need to have them somewhere online and then you just use the image tag (vb-code)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/05/2003 1:13 pm
Another harmonics/scream post! I've seen so many of these I now have a standard reply, everything (practically) that I know about harmonics:

http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=5647
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.