GnR Bias

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/01/2003 10:18 pm
Theres a lyric on the song breakdown by GnR(Axl wrote it) that goes "Everything was roses, when we held on to the guns"

I think thats tremendously cheesy, yet at GnR boards this lyric is seen as some form of visionary genius. Just an example of what I stated above
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 1
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
04/02/2003 8:12 am
Originally posted by Slasher
Axl decided he wanted to be a serious songwritter on the Use Your Illusion cds.

Oh, really?!?!

Then would you give some example?

The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/02/2003 2:55 pm
Breakdown, Locomotive, Coma, Dont Damn Me...
www.gnr.com.ar
# 3
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
04/02/2003 4:23 pm
Ok so it seems that we have quite different tastes in music. I have heard these songs and they are nothing special to me but if you have strong feelings for them, that's ok, it's a free world. Let's not make a quarrel here.
Five years ago I was one raging Gn'R fan and I still prefer them before Linkin Park, Bizkit and POD, but you know I have eveolved in my tastes much away from that hard n'heavy rock.
now I am really into bands that try to make something different, that try to break the rulez of music, that try to stand above the others.
I personally think that if Hendrix or Page or Zappa were now 17 year old aspiring musicians they won't be runnig up and down the pentatonics and singin "God gives rock n'roll to you" and similar sh!t, more probably they would be gettin into technology, digital efex, synths, "two turntables and a microphone"(that's what's in my player right now). I guess they probably would not at all be guitar players...if we extrapolate their genius in year 2003. Well, that's just how I fell about that issue.
But if you like, rock on, bang that hair and do all the related stuff. Noone's gonna stop ya.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/02/2003 4:27 pm
ha ha well I dont 'bang my hair' etc. but thanks!

yeah I respect your opinion and glad you do mine...its cool
www.gnr.com.ar
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
04/02/2003 5:21 pm
Jeez, forget their image and their videos!! The music is good! intelligently composed riffs and solos with many influences and styles!

Slashs solo albums are better than izzys, so are gilbys!

The reason you have so many loyal fans still pining for Guns is because of that genre they were the best! If your a Guns n Roses fan you get your moneys worth - more great songs in one album than in 3 or 4 aerosmith ones! And I love aerosmith so thats saying something!

A guy at the record fairs said to me.. "If you dont like GnR - you dont like Rock" And its true! Slash admits Appetite was slightly childish, lyrically etc, but the basis of GnRs playing is classic bluesy rock. Listen to "Move to the city" - its awesome!

ALso Listen to slashs playing on "Estranged" if you doubt his abilities!

Music is weird! People rate the Stones but 90% of their albums are tat! Aerosmith are an awesome band - 3 or 4 hits on every album but they have a heck of a lot of weak songs.
# 6
sithgt6
sithgt6
04/02/2003 5:56 pm
Axl's a panty waist.

I can honestly say that I own and enjoy AFD and Lies, I also respect Slash as a good guitar player. But GnR just don't got it anymore. They were great in their day for what they were - a rock n roll band. They even had a couple (a couple) of decent songs since their heyday - but Axl's voice - while unique and original on recording sounds like a sack of hammered dog crap live. Axl's self-centered mindset doesn't help either - if he IS GnR, then GnR sucks.

AC/DC for instance has proven that there is nothing wrong with simply being a rock n roll band, if that's what you are good at. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with expanding your horizons a lot of bands do that - but come on - saying Axl Rose is a "great musician" is like saying Carrot Top is intellectually stimulating.

D.
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/02/2003 8:52 pm
Originally posted by sithgt6
They even had a couple (a couple) of decent songs since their heyday

Err...theyve only had like 6 songs since their heyday, they havent released an album since 93, and that was a covers album.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 8
sithgt6
sithgt6
04/02/2003 10:09 pm
Their heyday was AFD and Lies in my book - all that Use your Illusion/Spaghetti crap was a joke.

D.
# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/03/2003 4:37 pm
"Jeez, forget their image and their videos!! The music is good! intelligently composed riffs and solos with many influences and styles!"
Erm, I dont know if i agree with you there. Listen to sonic youth, seriously. Listen to "Teenage Roit" wich at the end of the day is a frivilous fun rock record, but it's not cheesy and it's got quite a wierd cool style. I dont find their stuff too intelligently composed but maybe I'm comparing it to stuff like Beck, and even the mixing off the styles it's been done in a way which is designed to be accessable, as opposed to intresting. For something which incorporates styles well. listen to "swallow" by My bloody valentine.
This isn't a dig at you personally so please dont get offended. I;ve found that alot of GnR fans simply haven't expanded their horizions, it's a big generalisation but it suits my observations.
I recommend listening to stuff from MANY genres, i many really different genres stuff like Underworld, throught to "Corneluis", to "ten benson", to "the pixies" and on and on... I've been listening to great song by the Alpine stars lately, I've been struggeling to find it's title though, I will come back with it though...
It's quite nice to watch poeple discussing bands without the childish bitchin', it makes my job a lot easier...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.