View post (GnR Bias)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/01/2003 5:15 pm
I'm pretty much anti-GNR, as i've said before (a long long long time ago)...
I dont rate slash highly at all, I dont rate thier (IMO) cringe worthy production. Axl's vocals have always brought out the agrevated bitter git in me. Lyrically one of the worst things i've come across. I've listened to appatite for destruction and to "use your illusions" and not so much of "the speghitti incident". It just sounds like patronising, cheesy, contrived drivel to me. It lacks any real artistic concept or depth. Listening to such weak material really does make you admire "Day Dream nation" and other great indie- alternative material that started to materialise towards the end of the eighties that never got the credit it deserved... To be honest, I dont veiw it as anything more than a 2nd class aerosmith cover band. I just dont find anything that makes me sit up, and pay attention..
Sorry about this out pouring, it's not a dig at GnR fans... It's just that i find GnR a great example of real formulaec, chauvanist emptiness...
Having said this I'm also profoundly anti: pearl jam (corprate angst *cringe*), White snake, Bon Jovi, and anything hair metal and corprate...
It's just that when i started out, all me peers, and the poeple i looked upto infact, went down the Metalica, GnR route, and i was never into that, I liked hendrix but not really for his musicainship, but for his creative out-bursts, and for his stylish songwriting. I then go into Sonic Youth, REM, Guided by Voices, Folk Implosion, Joy Division, and alot of other "cult" bands, and I started to get into alot of blues, and it's impossible to enjoy the 80's hair metal simply because it doesn't measure up to the stuff I listen to now...
Now, i'm listening to wide range of stuff from sweet poppy electronica, to arabic laments... but there's no room in my collection for GnR, maybe a place under the short leg of the couch...