Really Disappointed in Songs offered

andhereisthomas
Full Access
andhereisthomas
Full Access
06/19/2023 2:40 am

I signed up for this without checking the song library first. Big mistake. Are you kidding me? No Mark Knopfler or David Gilmour at all? I ASSUMED there would be solos galore by these two GIANTS. The only Pink Floyd offering is 'Wish You Were Here', which for many people is literally the first song they learn on an acoustic.

Again, really disappointed.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/19/2023 3:19 am

You signed up 6 years ago and are just finding this out now? What have you been doing for 6 years?

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
andhereisthomas
Full Access
andhereisthomas
Full Access
06/20/2023 2:19 am
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

You signed up 6 years ago and are just finding this out now? What have you been doing for 6 years?

I signed up six years ago I guess, but never did anything here. Recently I've been really upping my game on guitar, playing 20 hours a week or more, and this site gets great reviews so I found a deal on a year subscription so I wouldn't have to go through so many YouTube tutorials, trying to find the good ones. But now it looks like I'm going to have to stay on YouTube after all, and just use this for scales, techniques, etc.

It's not money wasted, per se, but it is really surprising how threadbare the offerings are when it comes to learning the master soloists.

# 4
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
06/20/2023 11:03 am

I hear ya. Good site for getting going but we just lost a huge chunk of some real guitar classics and there's never been much on offer as far as songs from  guitar legends go. I stopped bothering bombing requests from Hendrix, Neil, knopfler, Clapton etc etc as seems they not worthy here but have learnt a lot. Will be my last year unfortunately as the songs I'm after by the guitar gods lie elsewhere now.

# 5
Bobk42
Full Access
Bobk42
Full Access
06/20/2023 10:27 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: Tinpan

I hear ya. Good site for getting going but we just lost a huge chunk of some real guitar classics and there's never been much on offer as far as songs from  guitar legends go. I stopped bothering bombing requests from Hendrix, Neil, knopfler, Clapton etc etc as seems they not worthy here but have learnt a lot. Will be my last year unfortunately as the songs I'm after by the guitar gods lie elsewhere now.

I predict that GT will cease to exist in the near future because of this.  

# 5
justreleased09
justreleased09
06/20/2023 11:47 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: andhereisthomas

I signed up for this without checking the song library first. Big mistake. Are you kidding me? No Mark Knopfler or David Gilmour at all? I ASSUMED there would be solos galore by these two GIANTS. The only Pink Floyd offering is 'Wish You Were Here', which for many people is literally the first song they learn on an acoustic.

Again, really disappointed.

There were a couple of massive unpublishings of the song library, which removed so many good songs. It’s a shame. After being a loyal subscriber for a decade, I am so disappointed in GT. Don’t worry, the admin will never really respond to any of this or offer a detailed explanation of what is going on. Its really upsetting to watch the site sell annual memberships predicated on a song library that they were going to gut in the first quarter of the year. That is super shady. Couple that with the lack of adequate response from the GT team, and this just shows that this place isn’t what it used to be. 

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/21/2023 1:31 am

It must be hard to compete.  GT pays royalty/licensing fees whereas it's my perception that the bulk, if not all, YouTube lesson channels do not.

Here is interesting info about the Floyd's licensing, of course it probably relates to David Gilmour, too:   https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/11/15/pink-floyd-catalog-deal-delay-analysis/ 

Competing with the big boys and having to work around major artists selling their entire catalogs to major publishers while other major artists are buying back their own music would be cause to be very tight lipped about how a business like GT goes about its business.

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.