new old

parnassian
parnassian
06/16/2023 8:26 pm

Hi everyone, 

I played guitar for many years but I've never taken lessons and I never followed a method to learn it. I played in bands and I played gigs always by ear and I would simply like to know where should I start on the Guitar Tricks lessons. I feel there is so much more I could do if I was pointed in the right direction and I start taking guitar learning more seriously.

Thank you

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/16/2023 9:10 pm

I think my standard recommendation fits everybody even without knowing the skill level of the guitarists:  start at the beginning.

Start with the Fundamentals courses. If at first they are too easy, good on you!  Progressing through the lessons will be a nice refresher but ultimately you'll start running into new stuff and/or teaching of skills you don't have.

If it all is a breeze then the time spend with Fundamentals won't be much and then you can charge into the different genre courses or the more specific technique lessons.  Meanwhile, there's a catalog of song lessons to go through.  IMO, study/practice sessions should always allot time for learning songs.

Good luck, have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/16/2023 9:20 pm

I'll offer a different perspective than John. If you already play, and you play gigs, you already have substantial skills. And playing by ear! That's impressive man.

I think you should reach out to Christopher and begin a discussion with him. He has his own Forum.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2023 6:47 pm

I agree with William - Christopher Schlegel has a terrific wide-lens knowledge of the Guitar Tricks site, and of music in general.

I would bet he could give you some very helpful suggestions, based on what it is you want to do in terms of moving ahead, but also, filling in any 'blanks' that might be important information that, even though you are an experienced player, you may not have quite understood before. 

Be prepared for some exciting "aha moments"!

Have fun - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
parnassian
parnassian
06/19/2023 7:22 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

I agree with William - Christopher Schlegel has a terrific wide-lens knowledge of the Guitar Tricks site, and of music in general.

I would bet he could give you some very helpful suggestions, based on what it is you want to do in terms of moving ahead, but also, filling in any 'blanks' that might be important information that, even though you are an experienced player, you may not have quite understood before. 

Be prepared for some exciting "aha moments"!

Have fun - Lisa

thank you guys

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.