Beginner or Intermediate

Davebutters663
Davebutters663
05/03/2023 7:43 am

Hi All,

I am a 73 year old man living in North Yorkshire UK. On Sunday, I played at an Open Mic event ( It was to support a friend of mine who organised the event for charity), it was my first time playing in front of an audience and I found it quite stressful and daunting. What it did though, was to let me know that I have got much more to learn and I consequently joined Guitar Tricks.

I know a couple of songs and most of the open chords, I suck at Barre Chords and don't practice scales very much. I started fundamentals 1 yesterday, thinking I would go back to basics. I am trying to find a structured course of lessons and practice routine. So far I have just been going from lesson to lesson, I cant find any practice information from Anders.

I would really appreciate someone/anyone putting me on the right lines. I am thinking that I can't be an intermediate player until I master the basics ???

Please Help. One day I might even go ahead and throw the Guitar out of the window ??????

DAVE

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
05/03/2023 5:46 pm

Dave -

I played for decades before joining up and stepped into the Intermediate course with a determination to fix a lot of bad habits I’d developed over the years. There was a lot I already thought I knew but I went through it anyway and pretty consistently found tidbits to help straighten out my faults.  I also found myself dipping selectively back into the beginner course (ego be damned!) to iron out things I’d been too pig-headed over the years to fix.

Nice thing about GT is that you can bounce around. Go ahead any try the intermediate.  If it swings -awesome! If not, drop back to the basic. Nobody is watching and if the are, tell them to get stuffed. Jump in. Have fun.

Rumble

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/03/2023 6:43 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Dave -

I played for decades before joining up and stepped into the Intermediate course with a determination to fix a lot of bad habits I’d developed over the years. There was a lot I already thought I knew but I went through it anyway and pretty consistently found tidbits to help straighten out my faults.  I also found myself dipping selectively back into the beginner course (ego be damned!) to iron out things I’d been too pig-headed over the years to fix.

Nice thing about GT is that you can bounce around. Go ahead any try the intermediate.  If it swings -awesome! If not, drop back to the basic. Nobody is watching and if the are, tell them to get stuffed. Jump in. Have fun.

Rumble

"Nobody is watching and if the are, tell them to get stuffed"

One of the best responses to a post I have seen yet. 100% Rumble!

Good luck Dave, jump in!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2023 3:55 pm

I also have a Guitar Fundamentals course that essentially covers the same basic foundational skills as Anders' course, but we are two different teachers with two different styles of teaching.

You might check out my course to see whether I, or Anders, are the best fit for what you are looking for in terms of solidifying and practicing your basic skills.

It's a very good idea, by the way, considering where it is you would like to go with your playing in the future! Some of it may seem overly simple and repetitive, but it is super important stuff that builds a strong foundation from which to learn all sorts of cool, more advanced, things in the future.

Have fun! -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.