Epiphone Quick connect problem.

christophertugmon
christophertugmon
04/22/2023 9:51 pm

Have a 2010 Epi Explorer Pro & it has the QC plugs  I want to wire across this Epi plug. Need to know the color diff.

# 1
Guitar Tech
Guitar Tech
04/26/2023 10:24 am

Does your Explorer have push/pull coil-tapping pots?  If it does, are you planning to keep them in your circuit, or are you going to eliminate that feature?  Obviously, this is a critical question...

Almost all standard Humbuckers have one coil with adjustable screws for pole-pieces, and the other coil has (non-adjustable) Iron 'slugs' for pole-pieces. These coils are usually referred to as the 'screw coil' and the 'slug coil', respectively.  Obviously, each of these coils has a beginning and an end, with one wire attached to each end of the coil.  Two coils x two wires each = four wires.  The pickup's output-cable has a fifth bare wire in it; this fifth wire is always grounded - it is to ground the pickup's metal chassis, and the shielding in the output cable.

As far as I can find from a net search, the Epiphone wire color-code (which is the same as Gibson's code) is as follows:

•  The Red wire is the beginning of the slug coil (it is used as the pickup's 'hot' output).

•  The White wire is the end of the slug coil (normally connected to the Green wire).

•  The Black wire is the beginning of the screw coil (it is used as the pickup's ground).

•  The Green wire is the end of the screw coil (normally connected to the White wire).

As I mentioned, there is a fifth wire, which is always grounded.  According to the thread I linked to, this is a "big black wire" - I guess this is a layer of heat-shrink tubing, around the bare wire...

If you're replacing the stock pickups with another brand of pickup, you will need to find out what color they use for each of the four coil connections.  If you make sure that you connect the beginning- and end-wires for both the slug-coil and the screw coil to match the positions listed above - not the colors - you should get the correct functions.

I hope this is all clear - if not, you can contact me at > info1@guitartech.us <.

Stephen White

edited
# 2
aust.in.patrick711
aust.in.patrick711
05/12/2023 10:20 am

Hello,

If you have a 2010 Epiphone Explorer Pro with Quick Connect (QC) plugs and you want to wire across the Epiphone plug, you'll need to know the color differences between the wires. Here's a general guide to the colors typically used in Epiphone QC plugs: Black: Usually the hot wire (positive). White: Usually the ground wire (negative). Red: Sometimes used as an additional hot wire for coil splitting or tapping. Green and Bare: These wires are typically used for grounding purposes. Keep in mind that wire color coding can vary between manufacturers, so it's always a good idea to double-check the specific color codes for your guitar model. You can consult the wiring diagram provided by Epiphone for your specific guitar or contact Epiphone customer support for accurate information regarding the color coding of the QC plugs on your 2010 Epiphone Explorer Pro. 

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.