The pentatonic scale

martjor854
Full Access
martjor854
Full Access
04/17/2023 10:10 pm

Hi Mike,

Can I ask you about the following:

The A minor pentatonic scale at first position starts at 5-8 and so on is it correct to play 8-5 on the way back up to the low E String?
If we move this shape up one fret will this give the A sharp Minor pentatonic scale, up another fret to obtain the B minor pentatonic scale and so on.

If we move backwards one fret we obtain the G sharp pentatonic scale is this the minor pentatonic scale? I was reading that in order to make a minor pentatonic scale Major we move the shape eg Aminor pentatonic scale back three frets.

what the fundamental difference between the minor and majir pentatonic scales please.

also

when playing a backing track over the A minor pentatonic scale is the scale played the same way as you play the scale 

that is starting at 5-8 as soon as the track starts.

will any A minor backing track be okay for the A minor pentatonic scale first position, or do we need a different track for each position. 
each position of the pentatonic scale whether minor or major connects to the next position 

I am unsure how to play a backing track with the pentatonic scale.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2023 4:46 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: martjor854

Hi Mike,

Can I ask you about the following:

The A minor pentatonic scale at first position starts at 5-8 and so on is it correct to play 8-5 on the way back up to the low E String?
If we move this shape up one fret will this give the A sharp Minor pentatonic scale, up another fret to obtain the B minor pentatonic scale and so on.

If we move backwards one fret we obtain the G sharp pentatonic scale is this the minor pentatonic scale? I was reading that in order to make a minor pentatonic scale Major we move the shape eg Aminor pentatonic scale back three frets.

what the fundamental difference between the minor and majir pentatonic scales please.

also

when playing a backing track over the A minor pentatonic scale is the scale played the same way as you play the scale 

that is starting at 5-8 as soon as the track starts.

will any A minor backing track be okay for the A minor pentatonic scale first position, or do we need a different track for each position. 
each position of the pentatonic scale whether minor or major connects to the next position 

I am unsure how to play a backing track with the pentatonic scale.

Hello Martin!

1) If you are simple moving the pattern for Minor Pentatonic up and down the fretboard as you describe, it will stay as a Minor Pentatonic scale, but change the key.  So yes,  If you start with Am Pentatonic at the 5th fret, and move the pattern down 1 fret, it will become G#m (or Abm) Pentatonic.

2) To turn the Minor Pentatonic scale into a Major Pentatonic scale, yes, moving the scale pattern down 3 frets will work.  So for example, moving the Am Pentatonic Scale pattern at the 5th fret down 3 frets so that F# is the low note will give you an A Major Pentatonic scale.  Note that the root note in the pattern is now in a different position!  I highly recommend you work through this tutorial that will explain the differences between the Major and Minor Pentatonic scales:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/10347

3) When you're playing to an A Minor Backing Track - ANY pattern of A Minor Pentatonic will work.  They are all the same 5 notes, just found on different spots of the fretboard. I highly recommend you work through this tutorial that explains how to start playing over a backing track. We call this Improvisation:

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/876

Hope you find this helpful! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.