Forum Software


Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
04/08/2023 6:23 am

Hi,
I was wondering what is the reason guitartricks doesn't use a professional forum software to run this forum. I mean is a nice discussion site but lacks lots of features from a professional forum software. There are some very good solutions out there that are designed just for that purpose (like xenforo for example). So why invent reinventing the wheel?


Just wondering?


# 1
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
04/08/2023 4:33 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Dshow

Hi,
I was wondering what is the reason guitartricks doesn't use a professional forum software to run this forum. I mean is a nice discussion site but lacks lots of features from a professional forum software. There are some very good solutions out there that are designed just for that purpose (like xenforo for example). So why invent reinventing the wheel?


Just wondering?

Agree.  Crazy that we can't do something as simple as deleting a post.  


Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,493
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Joined: 09/28/05
Posts: 3,493
04/11/2023 6:00 am

Hi All, while we have looked into forum software in the past, we have found that it is more efficient and overall more secure to control in house. If there is a post that you need deleted, we can help with that. Just send us an email at admin@guitartricks.com letting us know.


 


We are always looking to make improvements with the site, so if there is a feature you would like to see it can be brought to the attention of our developers for consideration. 


If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 1,652
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 1,652
04/11/2023 1:02 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi All, while we have looked into forum software in the past, we have found that it is more efficient and overall more secure to control in house. If there is a post that you need deleted, we can help with that. Just send us an email at admin@guitartricks.com letting us know.


 


We are always looking to make improvements with the site, so if there is a feature you would like to see it can be brought to the attention of our developers for consideration. 

For a brief period of time, maybe a week or so ago, I thought I saw the delete button added back to the forum. Did I imagine this?


This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,528
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,528
04/11/2023 1:42 pm

I'm disappointed in the 'in-house control' of the Forum of the past couple years.  It seems that with the last two or three 'upgrades' things got dropped or stopped working.  Forum search functions took a big hit and are not as efficient as they once were. 


But the pages look nicer.  😉


 


"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
04/11/2023 3:00 pm

Admin: "If there is a post that you need deleted, we can help with that. Just send us an email at admin@guitartricks.com letting us know."


With all due respect, that is ridiculous in this day and age.  Even with an in-house system you should be able to have a Delete button.


And no spell check (to help with a word like "ridiculous")?  Come on guys.


 


Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 6
guitardag
Full Access
Joined: 11/07/20
Posts: 56
guitardag
Full Access
Joined: 11/07/20
Posts: 56
04/11/2023 4:01 pm

A simple solution to deleting your post could be to just edit it and erase or change the post and then save it.  Although it would still leave your post it would be blank or if it needs some text just type "edited" or "deleted".  Not sure if that will help but just a suggestion.


 


Scuba.  Haha, had to edit my post because I misspelled something.


edited
# 7
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
ScubaCPA
Full Access
Joined: 05/11/20
Posts: 120
04/11/2023 4:09 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: guitardag

A simple solution to deleting your post could be to just edit it and erase or change the post and then save it.  Although it would still leave your post it would be blank or if it needs some text just type "edited" or "deleted".  Not sure if that will help but just a suggestion.


 


Scuba.  Haha, had to edit my post because I misspelled something.

Yes. I have done that once or twice. But still silly to have to rely on a workaround. 


Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 8
Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
Dshow
Registered User
Joined: 04/18/12
Posts: 23
04/14/2023 7:54 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi All, while we have looked into forum software in the past, we have found that it is more efficient and overall more secure to control in house. If there is a post that you need deleted, we can help with that. Just send us an email at admin@guitartricks.com letting us know.


 


We are always looking to make improvements with the site, so if there is a feature you would like to see it can be brought to the attention of our developers for consideration. 

Hi,
thank you. I appreciate the answer but don't necessarily agree with more efficient and secure when it's done in house. If you use a professional software, it is way more secure than the in-house solution and it would be by far more convenient and efficient.


Sure, you would have to update regularly when patches and news versions are available but it would be much less work, then develop all in house. And developers could concentrate on the main website.


... just my humble opinion though


# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.