View post (101 Rules of Nu-Metal)

View thread

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
03/06/2003 11:52 am
Originally posted by zepp_rules
i really want to go ask some nu-metal band if they know what a scale is?

Who cares about that?

I am getting tired of this.
Kurt Cobain for example did not know what a scale was and still he was one of the most talented musicians/songwriters of the 90's.
Remember, scales have nothing to do with talent! Any idiot can spend 5 hours/day and learn the damn scales and still he can play the most boring stuff on the planet.
Here i'm not ranting aginst zepp_rules rather on this whole notion of considering one guitarist "very talented" for the sole reason of being technicaly adept. C'mon cut that crap.
We are in the 21st century alredy. You should have gone through in the ninties. Grow up, if you have this type of thinking you will never do original music.

And speaking about the new metal thing: In the begining it was a very original and fres thing to combine metal and rap and I really like these early days e.g. the first Korn, the first Limp Bizkit, Body Count. But just like it happened with punk in the late 70's and with grunge in the 90's, it got devoured by the industry, new metal got self destroyed because it got full of bands who did not developed the style further and who just followed the cliches and formulas to acheive commercial succes. And they did-- examples Papa Roach, Likin Park, Crazy Town. Crazy Town are really the biggest asses cuz as far as I know in the 90's they were a typical LA-Guns n'roses kind of hard rock band and they were playin in some clubs without acheiving any succes. Then as the new metal fashion poped up they decided to conform to it and they became stars. And now, their new song, I heard today is pretty much a rock song, that EVEN HAS A SOLO!!! -- just in accordance with this wave of rock wave that is coming up lately( The Strokes, Vines, White Stripes etc). So you see how things work, you shoud not swear at a whole style but rather at bastards like the mentioned.
Last point -- many people tend to say "it is stupid to mix rap n' metal. it sux". OK. that is a personal opinion. I just want to say to those people that mixing styles for me is the only way of making original music, because all the styles are already used up. You have to face that. YOu won't be a better shredder than Vai, Malmsteen, Becker or etc, you wont make better rock ballads than G n'R, Aerosmith, Scorpions...should I continue? Rather than that you have relly good chances to amaze us with your unique mixture of let's say ...industrial and reggae or jazz and punk with ellements of post punk new wave.
Why should you dig in other people's territories?
To me it seems that what I'm sayin is common knowledge and probably it is common knowledge to many people posting on GT. But I feel that there are others who don't get that.

[Edited by Slow Diver on 03-06-2003 at 05:55 AM]
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!