Hello from Jacksonville FL

chiprs
chiprs
01/17/2023 5:21 am

Hello everyone.

I'm Chip, 60 years old.  Starting again after giving up as a teen because of injury.  Am right handed and have a damaged left hand that can't fret, but it can strum.  Decided to go left handed so have been working on a left handed guitar.  Its slow but feels good to give it a go.  Listen to Led Zepplin the most.  Went to a Tommy Emmanuel concert recently and was simply amazed.  Also saw Billy Strings.  I go to any live guitar show I can.

I have been struggling with position.  The neck sways forward when I release and fingering with my right hand.  Don't know if it is the way my left elbow is resting on the body.

Nice to join such a lively group!!

Cheers Chip

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2023 4:26 pm

Hi Chip,

Bravo! Finding your way back into guitar, even as you must change a bunch of things around (like, left & right hand skills). 
Are you using a guitar strap? 

If not, I highly recommend it.
And if you ARE, you might try experimenting with the length and postion of the strap, so that it is offering you as much help as possible.

The strap's job is to help stabilize the instrument as you hold it.

This can be a game-changer when it comes to issues like the ones you describe.

The more stable the instrument is as it is held against your body, the more control you will have over how it behaves as you play.

And the LESS extra body-muscle-tension it will require from you, to play your best. The more relaxed you can be, the better. (Check on arm tension, shoulder tension, etc.)

Hope this helps a little!

- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.